Free Agent / WINE: Couple of Questions

Post by T » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have what appears to be a successful installation of WINE via an RPM
release on Redhat 5.0 (double booting with W95). I'm trying to run
Forte's Free Agent, 16-bit, in WINE.

When I fire it up, using    wine --winver win31 /dos/fagent/agent.exe
I get the opening graphics and the usual "first run" stuff - - request
for info about news server, email address, etc.  Then Agent indicates
that it needs to go online to get a full list of newsgroups.

Agent runs fine, apparently getting the groups, but then crashes (hangs,
to be specific) as it attempts to write the file. I then have to shut
down X in order take back control of the the machine.

A couple of questions:

1)  Are you supposed to install the programs you wish to run through
WINE? Or do you run apps installed on the DOS partition with WINE? Or
both?

2) If you ARE supposed to install programs through WINE, then how does
one set up a drive in the config file for the installation?

TIA,
Tim

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."

-Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post by David Lee Lamber » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Agent runs fine, apparently getting the groups, but then crashes (hangs,
> to be specific) as it attempts to write the file. I then have to shut
> down X in order take back control of the the machine.

If ou're not too short of screen space,  try -managed or -desktop.

Quote:> A couple of questions:

> 1)  Are you supposed to install the programs you wish to run through
> WINE? Or do you run apps installed on the DOS partition with WINE? Or
> both?

Either way, really.  Generall,  a program that's eas to install on a
Novell network will be OK on Wine as well.  I have a subdirector that I
export using Samba,  containing many Windows programs.  I've gotten some
install progs to run,  but not all.  I also have a vfat partition with
Win95 installed.

Quote:> 2) If you ARE supposed to install programs through WINE, then how does
> one set up a drive in the config file for the installation?

I'm not sure I understand this.  Floppies are reall messy to deal with,
though it might be doable.  However,  if our installing off a hard drive
or CD,  just point to where it's mounted.  Make sure you have write priv.
for the place where ou install stuff.  (To this da, I have never run Wine
as root.)

--
m/lamber45\100(egr|pilot)\.msu\.edu/ and print <<MHM16x20
David Lee Lambert -- Just another perl hacker

Free Agent / WINE: Couple of Questions

Post by IHAMOUINE Sam » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Agent runs fine, apparently getting the groups, but then crashes (hangs,
>to be specific) as it attempts to write the file. I then have to shut
>down X in order take back control of the the machine.

Try to be root to run Free Agent with WINE !

Quote:

>A couple of questions:

>1)  Are you supposed to install the programs you wish to run through
>WINE? Or do you run apps installed on the DOS partition with WINE? Or
>both?

I think it's better to run apps on the DOS partitio, with WINE. For
DOSEMU, it's better to install apps you wish to run through DOSEMU

Quote:>2) If you ARE supposed to install programs through WINE, then how does
>one set up a drive in the config file for the installation?

C:\>

Quote:>"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."

>-Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bye
Sam

--

Home-Page: http://www.chez.com/samir1
           http://www.altern.org/ihamouine

Post by Charles E Taylor » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

|>Agent runs fine, apparently getting the groups, but then crashes (hangs,
|>to be specific) as it attempts to write the file. I then have to shut
|>down X in order take back control of the the machine.

|Try to be root to run Free Agent with WINE !

Not necessary.  Just have write permission to the dir Agent is in.  On
my setup, I have agent installed in a subdirectory in my home
directory.  It works well.  For example, this post is from Agent under
Linux, so either I've done something right or I've done something so
wrong that it works anyhow. :)

|>A couple of questions:

|>1)  Are you supposed to install the programs you wish to run through
|>WINE? Or do you run apps installed on the DOS partition with WINE? Or
|>both?

|I think it's better to run apps on the DOS partitio, with WINE. For
|DOSEMU, it's better to install apps you wish to run through DOSEMU

I run Quicken from my W95 partition, as I still can't get printing to
work under Wine.  (It crashes if I enable printing and won't send as
much as a bit to the printer ... :/ ).  I reboot every month or so to
print out my reconcilation information for my files.

Agent, however, I run purely from Linux.  Agent's install program will
run under wine.

|>2) If you ARE supposed to install programs through WINE, then how does
|>one set up a drive in the config file for the installation?

In my case, I pointed drive "f" to the directory I keep agent in ...
as shown in the sample config file that comes with wine.

--
 Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV | We got the MRxL, and spammers

------------------------------|------------------------------
 Replace "nouce" with "net" to mail me, but not if it's UCE!

Post by Mario Vukel » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Agent runs fine, apparently getting the groups, but then crashes (hangs,
>to be specific) as it attempts to write the file

Sounds to me like no write permission to the directory or drive

Quote:> I then have to shut
>down X in order take back control of the the machine.

run wine -managed.

Quote:>1)  Are you supposed to install the programs you wish to run through
>WINE? Or do you run apps installed on the DOS partition with WINE? Or
>both?

I have Freeagent 16 bit installed with wine -managed setup.exe off a
floppy onto a ext2fs drive
Worked better to me than with a windows installation. However, i have
to cd into the fagent directory before running it, otherwise fagent
saves files into the random directory i was in.

BTW: Out of the above reasons, i start fagnet via a little script (cd
*fagent/directory*. then run wine[options] agent.exe). The first run
after rebooting gives me, after normal Agent startup screen, only a
tiny window with a picture. After closing that one, all further starts
bring me into Agent without trouble. Until i reboot .... Any ideas on
that one???????

Quote:>2) If you ARE supposed to install programs through WINE, then how does
>one set up a drive in the config file for the installation?

If I understand you right, just as described in the documentation

file: wine.conf
(Dont know if i get the sythax right:)
e.g.:
[Drive C:]
c=/usr/local/wine                              This sets c:\ to PATH
windows=/usr/local/wine/windows       This sets c:\windows to PATH
system=/usr/local/wine/systems          This sets c:\windows\system

If you do wine [options] setup.exe and install to c:\fagent, you get a
directory /usr/local/wine/fagent, just like after installation in
windows. Set permissions and you should be ok.

Mario
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

Free Agent / WINE: Couple of Questions

Post by IHAMOUINE Sam » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have installed Free Agent from a CD and now, it work perfectely ! I can
read the news and post an article ! Wine is very cool ! I'll try to
install eudora or pegasus...

Bye
Sam

--

Home-Page: http://www.chez.com/samir1
           http://www.altern.org/ihamouine

1. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

Help
I down loaded and installed Wine to Linux 2.0.22 and Xwindows (XFree).
I think it's installed correctly.  I am getting a 'drive not found/path
not found' error.  I have my wine.conf in the right place (I think).
I'm using Win95 and hda3 and Linux on hda1.  I need a reality check.  Is
it hard to set up Wine?  Does someone have a working wine.conf file that
might guide me to a working wine.   Wine,wine,wine and beer. Ok I'll
stop wineing

Thanks
George

*                                                *
*   -----(((( Every Dog Has His Day ))))-----    *
*       ( to stay on the porch and bark )        *
*                                                *
*                George Dunham                   *
*            "Crappy Computers Ink"              *

*     http://www.sni.net/~gdunham/gdunh.htm      *
*    arf             |\__/\                      *
*        arf arf     / oo \_                     *
*             arf    | o  | \                    *
*                arf  \()/   \   )               *

2. adsl

3. couple of questions (well, more than a couple)

4. USB problem for multiple modems

5. Agent under WINE: HELP

6. Lexmark Color Jetprinter 2050

7. Forte Agent problem on Wine

8. TCP retransmits

9. Linux How-NOT-TO #69 "Agent and Wine"

10. Is there a Linux news client that works like Free Agent

11. Free Web Agent CPdog 1.0.0a for Solaris

12. Is there some (free) newsreader for X that looks a bit like Forte Agent under win ?

13. Free Agent Spam