Access server from outside LAN

Post by Ernes » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:03:10

I've got a LAN with a proxy server, with a public fixed IP address
on the Internet: 203.X.X.X.

Inside the LAN, I've got a Linux-Apache server. This server
has got an IP address inside the LAN: 192.168.1.17

Of course, you can access the web server from inside the
LAN, simply typing http://192.168.1.17

Now, I want to access this web server from OUTSIDE the LAN.
My proxy server is MicroSoft Proxy Server, with IIS
(MicroSoft's 'Apache'). If I type http://203.X.X.X from outside my
LAN, I succeed in accessing proxy's web server, but not
Linux-Apache server.

I would like to change Proxy Server into Linux server. What
must I do in order to access internal web server?

Thanx.

Access server from outside LAN

Post by Sebastian Wil » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:14:51

Ernesto schrieb:
Quote:

> I've got a LAN with a proxy server, with a public fixed IP address
> on the Internet: 203.X.X.X.

> Of course, you can access the web server from inside the
> LAN, simply typing http://192.168.1.17

> Now, I want to access this web server from OUTSIDE the LAN.

You will need to do some port forwarding!
I don't know if M$ Prox supports that. If not you have to use external
software.
Just forward some port to 192.168.1.17 Port 80.
If you don't need to access IIS on thre proxy from outside you may
forward port 80..

mfg
Wastl

--
Linux ist wie ein Pinguin im Wasser, elegant und geschmeidig
    und fr manch andere Spezies durchaus gef?hrlich.

Access server from outside LAN

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:16:22

Hi!,

Quote:> I've got a LAN with a proxy server, with a public fixed IP address
> on the Internet: 203.X.X.X.

> Inside the LAN, I've got a Linux-Apache server. This server
> has got an IP address inside the LAN: 192.168.1.17

> Of course, you can access the web server from inside the
> LAN, simply typing http://192.168.1.17

You are going to need to use a port redirection program.  Under Linux there
are a few to choose from but under Microsoft I am not so sure.  I know that
there is a program called "netcat" which should be able to do the trick for
you.  Effectively, you need to establish a port on your Win box which is the
border to your network and get it to redirect all of its traffic to the local
lan.  For instance on the Win box you might use port 8080 which would then
forward on all of its requests to the internal port 80.

This is the trick that we normally use for UNIX machines where access to the
internal LAN is required from an external border point.

See ya

Dean Thompson