I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.
Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.
The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.
- I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
- run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)
- Kernel recognizes right device
- No error messages at boot time
- ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
including errors counts.
- same for /proc/net/dev
- routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)
Yet, I can't run a single network application.
ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".
I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:
eth0 Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...
when the net should 100MBps.
Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?