Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Post by Nir Friedm » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir