rp-pppoe and pump with adsl-start and firewall?

rp-pppoe and pump with adsl-start and firewall?

Post by Edward Thompso » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:21:48

I am trying to follow the instructions on the firewall page
(www.linux-firewall-tools.com)
but I think I am missing something.

I use Raging Penguin pppoe (rp-pppoe) to connect to my DSL provider.  Works
great, but now I need a firewall and MASQ.  The instructions for rc.firewall
provided on the above page indicate to add a reference to pump-done to the
ifup shell script.  But when the /sbin/pump gets called, it fails, as does
dhcpc after it.  Is this redundant after using the script adsl-start which
starts rp-pppoe?  Does ifup even get called when my DSL connection is
established?

Asuming I don't need to cal pump, how would I call the firewall script and
inform it of the necessary dynamix IP information?

Has anyone done this yet?

rp-pppoe and pump with adsl-start and firewall?

Post by Hal Burgi » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:04:43

Quote:>I am trying to follow the instructions on the firewall page
>(www.linux-firewall-tools.com) but I think I am missing something.

>I use Raging Penguin pppoe (rp-pppoe) to connect to my DSL provider.  Works
>great, but now I need a firewall and MASQ.  The instructions for rc.firewall
>provided on the above page indicate to add a reference to pump-done to the
>ifup shell script.  But when the /sbin/pump gets called, it fails, as does
>dhcpc after it.  Is this redundant after using the script adsl-start which
>starts rp-pppoe?  Does ifup even get called when my DSL connection is
>established?

pump and rp-pppoe are redundant. You wouldn't use both at the same time.
So ignore all that. Pump is for DHCP log ons.

Quote:>Asuming I don't need to cal pump, how would I call the firewall script and
>inform it of the necessary dynamix IP information?

Not sure just how/what rp-ppoe works, but I would think a good place for
this would be /etc/ppp/ip-up.local.

--
Hal B

--

Post by Wolfgang Huelsman » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:05:34

> >............Asuming I don't need to cal pump, how would I call the
firewall script and
> >inform it of the necessary dynamix IP information?

you should use the interface-opportunity (e.g ppp0) to define your
firewall-rules
example for masquerading every traffic with the ip of ppp0

ipchains -A forward -d 0.0.0.0/32 -i ppp0 -j MASQ

works fine on my server to define with the interface-names! :-)
mfg, wolle

1. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

Hello,

I have a problem in RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7), please
help.

I am setting up linux server as NAT, which share t he internet
connection to the client PCs at home. I was using RH7.2 before and
there is no problem at all. My problem in RH8.0 is that: I setup
rp-pppoe (ifup ppp0) to run at startup of the machine. Basically, it
starts up without any problem at all. But, it never runs
/etc/ppp/ip-up. Which means that the ip masquerading process didn't
bring up at all. What I have to is to ssh to the server everytime
after the server boots up and run /etc/ppp/ip-up manually, before my
clients can use the internet connect. I realized that the
configurations files are quite different from the one that I was using
in 7.2, e.g it doesn't use /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf anymore, instated it
put all the information in
/etc/ppp/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0.

Anybody can give me some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bosco

2. Cant access my server frm the internet

3. I can't restart my adsl-connection of rp-pppoe

4. help Netscape

5. AppleTalk package to use?

6. Connecting to SGCI ADSL (rp-pppoe)

7. FTAPE Problem

8. adsl connection without rp-pppoe?

9. Problem with pppd/rp-pppoe and ADSL w/ Earthlink

10. MDK10-Why simetimes my ADSL (rp-pppoe) times out without connecting

11. Mandrake 7.1 & ADSL (rp-pppoe)

12. rp-pppoe, Verizon DSL, and firewall confusion