problems setting up SMC Etherez (8416-T) in kernel 2.0.36 (Slackware distribution)

problems setting up SMC Etherez (8416-T) in kernel 2.0.36 (Slackware distribution)

Post by dav » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm having problems setting up an SMC etherez 8416 on a freshly
installed 2.0.36 Linux kernel. Iv'e checked all of the HOWTOs, but
I've not been able to get the card to respond. The card is functioning
- I can get an MS-Client connection to the rest of the network. I have
a feeling I've missed a critical step in the setup. It fails to
respond when I compile the smc-ultra driver into the kernel, and I get
the message:

ei_debug undefined
ethdev_init undefined
NS8390_init undefined
ei_interrupt undefined
ei_open undefined
your Linux-2.0.36

I got the same message using kernel 2.0.30, and I get the same
unresolved externals when I attemt to load other drivers as well (like
the ne2000 driver (ne.o))

Have I missed something??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave.

problems setting up SMC Etherez (8416-T) in kernel 2.0.36 (Slackware distribution)

Post by Malwar » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi dave,

> NS8390_init undefined
[...]
> I got the same message using kernel 2.0.30, and I get the same
> unresolved externals when I attemt to load other drivers as well (like
> the ne2000 driver (ne.o))

Use modprobe to load the module or load the module 8390.o. All these
drivers do depend on it.

Malware

1. Lan Card SMC EtherEZ 8416 problem !!

I think that this is a plug and play card. You can either
use the DOS utility to lock out plug and play, or use the
pnputils from Linux to set it up.

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

2. rsh run in background

3. SMC EtherEZ 8416