PPP not eth0

Post by Peter B. Ensc » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

My internet access is provided via cable modem. I also want to
access my corporate intranet via telephone modem.
I can dial my corporate NT RAS server but cannot access the rest
of the network or even the DNS servers.

The problem seems to be that my machine doesn't know to access
these machines over the ppp connection but keeps trying the
ethernet network.

I think I need to set something in the route table but can't
figure out how to do this.

All help appreciated.

Peter
--
Peter B. Ensch

Linux ~ Where do you want to go tomorrow?

PPP not eth0

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>My internet access is provided via cable modem. I also want to
>access my corporate intranet via telephone modem.
>I can dial my corporate NT RAS server but cannot access the rest
>of the network or even the DNS servers.
>The problem seems to be that my machine doesn't know to access
>these machines over the ppp connection but keeps trying the
>ethernet network.
>I think I need to set something in the route table but can't
>figure out how to do this.

Which one is your default connection (ie the one you use to get to a
random place on the internet.) For the other one, when you bring it up
put in an explicit route to that networl
route add -net 137.82.0.0 ppp0
might be one possiblity. (assuming the remote net is 137.82.x.y)

1. telnetD: eth0 works; ppp NOT

Welll...   I took the same discs into the shop, fired uup eth0 and had
no trouble telnetting into my floppy-linux.

Takje them back home, fire up ppp and sure enough I can telne tin ,
( after telnetting out , then come back in) but I have no display.
I can't see what I am typing.
logout works though and I get back my prompt.

Weird hey !!

Can anyone help me out here ?
What am I doing wrong ?
Is this a bug ?

PeterJordan

2. pcmcia NIC

3. ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

4. Boot problem with inittab (continued from last week...)

5. PPP not replacing existing default route to eth0[0.0.0.0]

6. AX.25 and Linux Problems

7. nat works with ppp but not eth0

8. xterm cannot find utmp?

9. eth0 not found/Intel Gigabyte not working properly on RH7.3

10. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

11. rh7.1: delaying eth0 initialization?? eth0 startup fail?

12. eth0 shuts down with NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out error.

13. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"