Debugging SLIP and DIP

Post by David F. Jurasch » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 18:05:00

I'm a new Linux (and UNIX, for that matter) person.

In setting up my DIP script to initiate a sign on to a UNIX machine that will
provide me SLIP (using TIA on the UNIX box), I'm running into problems.

I know to do a        dip -v scriptfile         to be able to kind of debug
the process as the script file is read, but I would like to be able to see the
they are being executed.

Actually, if there is another way to initiate a SLIP link other than DIP via
dial in to a UNIX machine, I'd sure like to know about it.  I don't seem to
see much in the NET-2-HOWTO that can help.

Thanks.

-Dave Juraschek

Debugging SLIP and DIP

Post by "Glen W McCo » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 03:43:55

Quote:> I know to do a        dip -v scriptfile         to be able to kind of debug
> the process as the script file is read, but I would like to be able to see the
> they are being executed.

I'm trying to set-up the same connection, but running into trouble with a
tty error message atfer dip goes into the background. Anyway try using the
-t option to dip. You can enter commands by hand, and if you give a "term"
command you can see what the host is sending you. Check the man page for dip.

glen

Debugging SLIP and DIP

Post by Tomas Pi » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 20:29:18

  David> I know to do a dip -v scriptfile to be able to kind of debug
  David> the process as the script file is read, but I would like to
  David> be able to see the responses from the host as well as just
  David> the commands from the script file as they are being executed.

Add a `echo on' in your scriptfile. That should do it.

--
 Tomas Pihl
 ELLEMTEL System Labs, Sweden

1. Debugging SLIP and DIP

        I don't think you can.  The next best thing is to "less" your script
on one virtual console, and do a "dip -t" on another VC.  Now use the
mouse to paste each command from the script into the dip session.
Alternatively, you could do a "script; dip -t", and then clean up the
resulting typescript file to *be* your dip script.

        I had trouble with this at first, too.  Mail me if you are still
having problems.

        Sean

PS Don't forget to look at the scripts in ?/usr/doc/dip.  They're helpful.

2. Thanks Everyone for the Help

3. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

4. Fortran speedup in Alpha/Linux

5. So far- da SLIP/Dip Faq <was slip/ppp>

6. TYAN scsi controller is OK?

7. SLIP and DIP not working after reinstall of Slackware 1.2(SLIP)

8. A few questions - from Bulgaria

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. dip dip dip

11. Newbie - How to debug a broken dip ??

12. SLIP debugging challenge (detailed)

13. dynamic SLIP debugging