Networking Linux-Win98 Slow

Post by funk.. » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Linux System...
        PIII-600EB
        256MB RAM
        3COM 3C905b-TX 10/100 NIC

Win98 System
        K6-2 500
        128MB Ram
        Linksys LNE100 10/100 NIC

No HUB.  Using a crossover cable.

When I network these two machines, my transfer
rates using Samba or ftp or anything is very
slow.  Transfering a 4MB file takes roughly 1min.

I Installed Win98 on the linux box, and found that
networking between the two 98 machines runs
great.  Transfer speed roughly full bandwith of
10BT.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Have tried...
        Mandrake Linux 7.0
        Caldera Open Linux 2.3
        Caldera eServer 2.3

        have also tried Intel etherexpress pro 10/100
NIC.  Same transfer rate.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Leonard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Linux System...
>    PIII-600EB
>    256MB RAM
>    3COM 3C905b-TX 10/100 NIC

>Win98 System
>    K6-2 500
>    128MB Ram
>    Linksys LNE100 10/100 NIC

>No HUB.  Using a crossover cable.

>When I network these two machines, my transfer
>rates using Samba or ftp or anything is very
>slow.  Transfering a 4MB file takes roughly 1min.

I get 3-7MBps between Linux and (Linux or Win98) at 100Mbps and around
500KB/sec on a 10Mbps LAN at work.  You are likely experiencing the ever
popular reverse lookup failure timeout.  I experienced long ftp connect
delay before I added a name for my laptop to /etc/hosts of my main PC.
You can also add names to \windows\hosts (hosts.sam is example) if you
want to address it by name from Win boxes.  Either that or set up a
caching nameserver (see DNS_HOWTO).

Another possiblity is that your 'crossover' cable is really a patch cable.
Does ifconfig show any collisions?

Quote:>I Installed Win98 on the linux box, and found that
>networking between the two 98 machines runs
>great.  Transfer speed roughly full bandwith of
>10BT.

It should do better than 10Mbps if you are running 100Mbps cards on a
crossover cable (limited only by the speed of your hard drives).

>Leonard

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

Here is my home/office setup:

Machine 1: SUSE 6.0 set up as a simple file server using Samba 2.x.
Machine 2: Win98
Connected via FastEthernet.

If I copy a directory (~300MB) from Win98 to Linux box via Samba takes about 6 minutes... if I go the other way, takes 96 minutes!

I have both hosts/ips pointing to each other in their respective hosts files so DNS should not be a problem.

I'm still new at this so any help would be appreciated.

- Mark

2. Module rewrite 7/20: Boot and module PARAM unification

3. Slow networking between win98 box and linux box

5. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

6. Commercial encryption (NON DOD) devices

7. Samba very slow on Win98 network

8. Another VPN issue :)

9. Samba connection slow in Linux-Win98 LAN

10. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

11. Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

12. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

13. Linux, Win98, and DHCP--Win98 can't see outside world, Linux can