3c509b and Mandrake 7.2

Post by Steve Oatwa » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 06:48:27

Hi Folks

I have a problem getting my mandrake 7.2 to work with a 3com509b.

The set-up is as follows :- I have a LAN with 3 windoze PCs and a dual boot
windoze/Mandrake 7.2. There is also a smoothwall 0.9.8 firewall which also
acts as a DHCP server.
The 3 windoze PCs get DHCP allocated addresses etc. no problem from the DHCP
server and the dual boot pc does ok when in windoze.
However when in Linux the following happens :- tailing the messages file on
the DHCP server I see the mandrake PC request an address; the DHCP server
allocates an address then the mandrake PC requests an address again and so
on for 4 or 5 times then it times out and gives up. If I set a static IP
address on the mandrake box and attempt to ping the DHCP server I get a 'no
route to host' error even though I have set the address correctly
(10.0.0.150) and the netmask (255.255.255.0 class C) and the default gateway
(10.0.0.254) which is the smoothwall/DHCP server.

The Hub port lights up ok and mandrake sees the card and recognises it in
harddrake so now I'm stuck !!

any clues anyone ??

Best Regards

Steve Oatway

3c509b and Mandrake 7.2

Post by <toor> » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 05:09:05

First of all when you do, 'ifconfig eth0' does it say "UP" before broadcast?

Quote:>Hi Folks

>I have a problem getting my mandrake 7.2 to work with a 3com509b.

>The set-up is as follows :- I have a LAN with 3 windoze PCs and a dual boot
>windoze/Mandrake 7.2. There is also a smoothwall 0.9.8 firewall which also
>acts as a DHCP server.
>The 3 windoze PCs get DHCP allocated addresses etc. no problem from the
DHCP
>server and the dual boot pc does ok when in windoze.
>However when in Linux the following happens :- tailing the messages file on
>the DHCP server I see the mandrake PC request an address; the DHCP server
>allocates an address then the mandrake PC requests an address again and so
>on for 4 or 5 times then it times out and gives up. If I set a static IP
>address on the mandrake box and attempt to ping the DHCP server I get a 'no
>route to host' error even though I have set the address correctly
>(10.0.0.150) and the netmask (255.255.255.0 class C) and the default
gateway
>(10.0.0.254) which is the smoothwall/DHCP server.

>The Hub port lights up ok and mandrake sees the card and recognises it in
>harddrake so now I'm stuck !!

>any clues anyone ??

>Best Regards

>Steve Oatway

3c509b and Mandrake 7.2

Post by fred » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 05:37:19

Hi

Yep ifconfig shows the card up and working and the light on the back is on
as is the light on the hub. I checked the irq and i/o that windoze says the
card uses and set them in the modules.conf file with the alias.

> First of all when you do, 'ifconfig eth0' does it say "UP" before
broadcast?

> >Hi Folks

> >I have a problem getting my mandrake 7.2 to work with a 3com509b.

> >The set-up is as follows :- I have a LAN with 3 windoze PCs and a dual
boot
> >windoze/Mandrake 7.2. There is also a smoothwall 0.9.8 firewall which
also
> >acts as a DHCP server.
> >The 3 windoze PCs get DHCP allocated addresses etc. no problem from the
> DHCP
> >server and the dual boot pc does ok when in windoze.
> >However when in Linux the following happens :- tailing the messages file
on
> >the DHCP server I see the mandrake PC request an address; the DHCP server
> >allocates an address then the mandrake PC requests an address again and
so
> >on for 4 or 5 times then it times out and gives up. If I set a static IP
> >address on the mandrake box and attempt to ping the DHCP server I get a
'no
> >route to host' error even though I have set the address correctly
> >(10.0.0.150) and the netmask (255.255.255.0 class C) and the default
> gateway
> >(10.0.0.254) which is the smoothwall/DHCP server.

> >The Hub port lights up ok and mandrake sees the card and recognises it in
> >harddrake so now I'm stuck !!

> >any clues anyone ??

> >Best Regards

> >Steve Oatway

3c509b and Mandrake 7.2

Post by danie » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:21:26

I had the following problem with my 3c509b ISA card:
card was showing up on IRQ 10 and ifconfig reported it up but it was
unpingable.  The problem: on newer motherboards, IRQs are not
automatically reserved for ISA devices, since they are considered
legacy.  I had to go into the BIOS setup and specifically reserve IRQ
10 for the card (after first checking /proc/interrupts to make sure
nothing else was using it) and also reserve an I/O range.  The card
now works fine.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:48:27 +0100, "Steve Oatway"

>Hi Folks

>I have a problem getting my mandrake 7.2 to work with a 3com509b.

>The set-up is as follows :- I have a LAN with 3 windoze PCs and a dual boot
>windoze/Mandrake 7.2. There is also a smoothwall 0.9.8 firewall which also
>acts as a DHCP server.
>The 3 windoze PCs get DHCP allocated addresses etc. no problem from the DHCP
>server and the dual boot pc does ok when in windoze.
>However when in Linux the following happens :- tailing the messages file on
>the DHCP server I see the mandrake PC request an address; the DHCP server
>allocates an address then the mandrake PC requests an address again and so
>on for 4 or 5 times then it times out and gives up. If I set a static IP
>address on the mandrake box and attempt to ping the DHCP server I get a 'no
>route to host' error even though I have set the address correctly
>(10.0.0.150) and the netmask (255.255.255.0 class C) and the default gateway
>(10.0.0.254) which is the smoothwall/DHCP server.

>The Hub port lights up ok and mandrake sees the card and recognises it in
>harddrake so now I'm stuck !!

>any clues anyone ??

>Best Regards

>Steve Oatway

1. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

: What are the major differences ?

: Which do you like better ?

IMO 7.1 was considerably more polished and stable, in my experience at
least, but it included what now seem like horribly outdated versions
of everything, even though they were pretty current at the time of its
release.

I expect a new distro today to have kernel 2.4.x, glibc 2.2 or later,
XFree86 4.02 or later, a *working* gcc, KDE 2.1, and a very recent
version of Gnome.  SuSE 7.1 has all these, as will Mandrake 8.0, to
the best of my knowledge.

Joe

2. Apache 1.3.6 Highly Rated by CodeAdvantage Technologies

3. Windows 98 problems after installing Linux

4. 3Com ISA Etherlink III model-3c509b-c doesn't work on Red Hat 7.2

5. ANNOUNCE: PPP Document

6. Can anybody send me TALK?

7. Trouble making the lancard (3com 3c509b -combo) module running on red hat 7.2

8. 3Com ISA Etherlink III model-3c509b-c doesn't work on Red Hat 7.2

9. Mandrake 7.2 upgrade woes

10. Problem with Mandrake 7.2 and Sound [lack thereof]

11. DHCP configuration with cable modem (RCN) and Mandrake 7.2