WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Post by Rachael Ros » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> A load of complete *taking up 7871 lines

Can we please have a concerted effort from everyone here to tell this
person to get stuffed.

Okay, so it's one thing to request people should download some large
file of completely dubious interest once they've seen soem outrageous
claims for whatever it's supposed to be, but it's something else when
the whole damn file just turns up in your newsreader completely
unwarranted.....

Once again, let's do what we can to keep this place tidy, and explain
to this person what an unwelcome bastard they are.

Rachael Rosen
Sig minimalist.

WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Post by Dick Jarvin » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

says...

>> A load of complete *taking up 7871 lines

>Can we please have a concerted effort from everyone here to tell this
>person to get stuffed.

I agree.  This person is an unwanted sob and he should get stuffed.

WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Reply to him, include the entire post, and politely ask him why -- once.

--
Disclaimer: Views expressed are personal and not necessarily shared by IBM

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright, in the forests of the night.
What immortal hand or eye, could frame thy fearful symmetry.

Post by Scot A. Richards » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]
>Date: 30 Oct 1995 16:57:10 GMT
>>from him apologizing and stating that he thought he had only let mail on 2
>I find this hard to believe. Look at that cross-posting. This is SPAM. I don't
>believe he cross-posted to more than 20 newsgroups by accident.
>In any case, what you did is the correct thing. Send email to him. Tell him his
>posts are not wanted in your newsgroup. Don't post stuff in reply to his
>posting, I'm sure that he would never read it.
>If he does it again, start mailing him his zip back to him. If enough people do
>that, his provider will start complaining, and *that* should get him to stop.
>Dan (I know, I know, take my own advice...)

<snip>

What I have been doing, as of late, is ping(ing) or telnet(ing) the mail
server.  Every once and a while (actually more often than not) if find a unix

user has stated that they would take care of the problems.  They generally
understand the situation, and are sincerely sorry.  I know that if one of my
users pulled this crap, I would pull their account--in a heartbeat.

sar

Post by Corina Muns » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>no l didnt post this news!
>l have no idea how thi s could happen
>l guess someone is usint my account
>but l never gave my pass to anyone
>l will try to solve the problem
>l am sorry but l am innocent
>hr_lee

Well they are still at it.  Yesterday it showed up in the
rec.video.satellite.dbs group.

Corina

Post by Don Kirkm » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> A load of complete *taking up 7871 lines

>Can we please have a concerted effort from everyone here to tell this
>person to get stuffed.

Since it is both SPAM _and_ commercial, I sent a copy to his postmaster.

Cerritos, CA
If I had a life I'd be having a mid-life crisis

Post by Anne Benne » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> Can we please have a concerted effort from everyone here to tell this
>> person to get stuffed.

> Simple, email the entire post (with headers) to his postmaster

> users.

We already educate our users; when one does something like this,
we block the account.

Quote:> After receiving tens or hundreds of email with those 7871 lines
> of crap, I bet he will do something.

We do something even without that; a brief report including the
message headers is sufficient.  I submitted a note yesterday to
the net-abuse.announce newsgroup to say that we're onto this one,
and are cancelling any instances that we find.  I apologize on
behalf of my site for the spam.

If you find any more such articles from my site that I missed,
please send me the Message-ID and I will cancel appropriately.
Again, we're pretty unhappy about having our site's reputation
besmirched and about inconveniencing thousands of sites, and we
are doing everything we can to prevent this type of thing, and to
squelch it quickly when it does occur.

Anne.
--

Computing Services,   Concordia University,   Montreal QC,   Canada H3G 1M8
(Administrator for Concordia University mail relay and news transfer)

WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Post by Anne Benne » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Yeah, he'll do something.  He just spammed another fistfull of newsgroups
> again this time in the rec hierarcy.   I don't think anything is going to
> teach him a lesson.

That spam was from a different account, forging as being from the
first (check out the nntp-posting-user header), and we cancelled
all of the instances we could find, this morning.

This is frustrating and embarrassing for us -- we pride ourselves
on a well-run site, and this is hardly the behaviour one would
expect from a well-run site!  The second account has been blocked
as well.  When I get my hands on the human being responsible for
this spam, I'll try to remember that I'm not a * person,
and confine myself to trying to ensure that he (or she!) does not
ever get a computer account at Concordia University again.  Grr.

My profuse apologies on behalf of my site for the inconvenience
to other sites and to the readers of the affected newsgroups.

Anne.
--

Computing Services,   Concordia University,   Montreal QC,   Canada H3G 1M8
(Administrator for Concordia University mail relay and news transfer)

WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Post by Bill Atar » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

}>Please explain to us how anyone accidently posts a
}>get rich quick spam to 29 newsgroups?
}>
}don't know, but the fact that he responded to appologize and didn't try to sell
}anything is good enough for me to believe it was a mistake. I've email hundreds
}of these clowns and this is the first to respond and appologize so I'm willing
}to give him the benefit of the doubt.
}                                                               -Ray

Maybe *you* are just another one of his logins ?

WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

Post by Bill Atar » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

}Please explain to us how anyone accidently posts a
}get rich quick spam to 29 newsgroups?
}Regardless, I just deleted it from all 29 groups.

How do you do this ?

Post by Paul Johns » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> ...I'm intrigued, what has this * boy got that we are not
> supposed to see ???....

Something we have all seen rather too often on the Net; hence the
red-eyed fury.  Its a bit like the old Chinese torture of applying a
drop of cold water every few minutes: the first ones are just
moderatly annoying, but after a while it starts to drive you crazy.

The post was a "Ponzi scheme".  The idea is that you send money to 5
people on a list, and then invite 10 people to participate.  Each of
them sends money to you and four others from your original list, and
invites 10 people to send them money.  And so on.  The schemes are
accompanied by some arithmetic puporting to demonstrate
"mathematically" that it will generate $50,000 for you.  The flaw of
course is that there are only a finite number of people in the world.

What these schemes actually do is set up a funnel of people who
channel their money to the narrow end.  It actually comes from the
people at the wide end who cannot persuade anyone else to participate.
You cannot generate wealth just by moving green pieces of paper.

These schemes are illegal in most juristictions (including the entire
US).  Ignore the bull in the posts about "providing a service" of
compiling mailing lists.  The judges have heard it before.

Paul.

--
Paul Johnson            | GEC-Marconi Ltd is not responsible for my opinions. |
+44 1245 473331 ext 2245+-----------+-----------------------------------------+

Post by Harold Lee Cremeans » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Yeah, he'll do something.  He just spammed another fistfull of newsgroups
>again this time in the rec hierarcy.   I don't think anything is going to
>teach him a lesson.

Crosspost his SPAM to news.admin.net-abuse.misc.  They'll do something
about it...

Lee C. in BlacksBurg...another happy Warp user!
"I can't think of anything to say this time..."

Post by red sllid » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>no l didnt post this news!
>>l have no idea how thi s could happen
>>l guess someone is usint my account
>>but l never gave my pass to anyone
>>l will try to solve the problem
>>l am sorry but l am innocent
>>hr_lee
>Well they are still at it.  Yesterday it showed up in the
>rec.video.satellite.dbs group.
>Corina

I still prefer Quicken, anyway.