Problems installing NIS+ client on Linux RedHat 7.1

Problems installing NIS+ client on Linux RedHat 7.1

Post by Daniel Ouim » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:31:34

Hi,
I have just compiled and installed NIS+ client (1.4.1) on a new Linux
Red Hat 7.1.  Our server is a Solaris 7 Sparc server.

There seem to be a problem with the portmap when I start the nis+
client. Here are the network packets exchanged between the client and
the server :

client.domain -> server.domain PORTMAP C GETPORT prog=100300 (NIS+) vers=3 proto=TCP (retransmit)
server.domain -> client.domain PORTMAP R GETPORT port=32772
client.domain -> server.domain ICMP Destination unreachable (Bad port)

The commands executed on the client is as usual :
% domainname domain
% nisinit -c -H server.domain
And no I did not forget to put credentials for the client on the
server. So I think everything is right, except that the PORTMAP goes
crazy when it receives the answer from the server...

HELP ME PLEASE, or give me a pointer where to find the right
information. Does RedHat have support for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
--
Daniel Ouimet   Administrateur des systemes informatiques, CRM

Universite de Montreal, CRM,  C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-Ville
Montreal (Quebec) H3C 3J7, CANADA
(514) 343-6992        FAX: (514) 343-2254

1. NIS client setup on RedHat 7.1

There are two issues with NIS setup. Even though I set it up as NIS
client correctly I couldn't access it as a NIS user. I then changed
all nisplus entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf to 'nis' and rebooted. Now I
can setup NIS (domainname and ypbind) and it works. But if I reboot
the machine the domainname goes away. I edited the
/etc/sysconfig/network file and added "NISDOMAIN=mydomain" at the end
and rebooted. This didn't solve the problem. How else can I make it
survive reboots?

thanks
SS

2. Anonymous FTP, ls don't work!

3. Problem Installing Redhat Linux 7.1

4. Needed: Config file for for Number 9 Vision 330 (2MB)

5. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

6. Which Notebook Please

7. RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

8. Getting data with hpnpadmin...

9. Redhat 7.1 client pc dns problem...

10. Problem installing RedHat 7.1 on Dell Latitude

11. Problem installing KDE 3.0 on Redhat 7.1

12. HELP Installing Linux Redhat 7.1 on a Cyrix Based System!!!

13. installing-problems with redhat 7.1.