How to browse internt thru' LAN's MS proxy server (also serving as firewall)

How to browse internt thru' LAN's MS proxy server (also serving as firewall)

Post by Dasoroju J Ra » Thu, 03 May 2001 13:05:25

Hi,

Recently, I installed Redhat Linux 7.0 at my office computer.  Our intranet
uses all Microsoft stuff and all my collegues use windows boxes.

I could manage to connect my linux box to interal LAN successfully (also
could browse the network neighbourhood by using Samba server).  We have DHCP
server on our LAN.  So, I have used DHCP client protocal for my Linux box.
So during login, I could automatically get private IP address, gateway, IP
address of internal DNS server correctly.  These things I confirmed by
checking relevant configuration files (like /etc/resolv.conf ,
/etc/sysconfig/network ...) in my linux box.

But, I can't get authenticated by our firewall ( ofcouse, in netscape, proxy
server options , I have enterned correct address of our internal firewall &
port). Another thing, I observed, if use "connect thru' proxy server option
in netscape, I can't even surf our INTRANET sites.  But if I change, options
to " direct connection to internet" in Netscape, I could surf the INTRANET
sites.

But same thing, If I do using Winnt system, I could successfully get
authenticated thru' our firewall to browse the internet.

We use MS proxy server 2.0.  Another interesting thing I observated is :
When I use WINNT system & start IE5.5 for internet browsing, during
authentication process, there are 3 feilds displayed

field#1 : username
field#2 : password
field#3 : domainname

But , When I use my Linux box & start Netscape 4.75, during authentication
process, only first two fields are displayed. I don't know why.  Is this
creating problem..

Could anybody help me, why I am not able connect my Linux box to internet
thru MS proxy server.

thanx in advance.

DJ Rao

Posted from [203.126.46.174] by way of f224.law9.hotmail.com [64.4.9.224]

How to browse internt thru' LAN's MS proxy server (also serving as firewall)

Post by <Debian User> » Thu, 03 May 2001 13:19:44

Check your gateway by pressing 'route' .

>Hi,

>Recently, I installed Redhat Linux 7.0 at my office computer.  Our intranet
>uses all Microsoft stuff and all my collegues use windows boxes.

>I could manage to connect my linux box to interal LAN successfully (also
>could browse the network neighbourhood by using Samba server).  We have
DHCP
>server on our LAN.  So, I have used DHCP client protocal for my Linux box.
>So during login, I could automatically get private IP address, gateway, IP
>address of internal DNS server correctly.  These things I confirmed by
>checking relevant configuration files (like /etc/resolv.conf ,
>/etc/sysconfig/network ...) in my linux box.

>But, I can't get authenticated by our firewall ( ofcouse, in netscape,
proxy
>server options , I have enterned correct address of our internal firewall &
>port). Another thing, I observed, if use "connect thru' proxy server option
>in netscape, I can't even surf our INTRANET sites.  But if I change,
options
>to " direct connection to internet" in Netscape, I could surf the INTRANET
>sites.

>But same thing, If I do using Winnt system, I could successfully get
>authenticated thru' our firewall to browse the internet.

>We use MS proxy server 2.0.  Another interesting thing I observated is :
>When I use WINNT system & start IE5.5 for internet browsing, during
>authentication process, there are 3 feilds displayed

>field#1 : username
>field#2 : password
>field#3 : domainname

>But , When I use my Linux box & start Netscape 4.75, during authentication
>process, only first two fields are displayed. I don't know why.  Is this
>creating problem..

>Could anybody help me, why I am not able connect my Linux box to internet
>thru MS proxy server.

>thanx in advance.

>DJ Rao

>--
>Posted from [203.126.46.174] by way of f224.law9.hotmail.com [64.4.9.224]
>via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. Solaris 2.4 x86 crashes

3. Redhat5.0's proxy server and firewall proxy

4. NFS between Linux RedHat 5.2

5. Internet Browsing thru Proxy server

6. Sendmail forward

7. DHCP server doesn't want to serve 2 networks on the same LAN

8. Linux Workstations?

9. Konq, 'LAN Browsing'

10. redhat server won't route thru firewall

11. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

12. going thru MS proxies server....

13. Server stops 'serving' when ethernet is plugged in