Home network without cable/dsl?

Post by Desmond Coughl » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> greetings, i want to set up a 2 box lan just as a home project, It will
> not even need to be fast, its just for the theory. however when i looked
> at the home network how to, it assumes you have a dsl/cable connection,
> i only have dialup connection. Is there a similar document, or another
> document that would be useful in conjunction with that one, that could
> tell me how to do this.

You only need the DLS or cable connection in the context of getting onto
the Internet.  For your LAN, two machines, some RJ-45 cable, and a hub
are basically all that you need.  Check out the Net HOWTO, the Intranet
Server HOWTO, and so on ... http://howto.tucows.com/ will give you the
list.

HTH.

--
Desmond Coughlan   Acting Assistant Technical Director     Forum des Images
The views expressed in these articles are my own, and do not necessarily

Home network without cable/dsl?

Post by Robert L. Cochran Jr » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I do not use cable or DSL for my 3-computer home network. I get very satisfactory service with my plain old modem -- it's a 3Com 56K Voice/Fax Pro with a serial cable connection to my RS-232 port. (You cannot use a winmodem with Linux, but you can with a pure Windows network.)

Bottom line: I have 56K analog modem service for the internet, and a 100 Mbps home network with 3 nodes. Download times are a little slow but I'm not complaining -- I have plenty of books to study. When cable or DSL becomes affordable, I'll take that leap.

Bob Cochran

Post by Jose Luis Domingo Lope » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> greetings, i want to set up a 2 box lan just as a home project, It will
> not even need to be fast, its just for the theory. however when i looked
> at the home network how to, it assumes you have a dsl/cable connection,
> i only have dialup connection. Is there a similar document, or another
> document that would be useful in conjunction with that one, that could
> tell me how to do this.

No problemo. Configure one of your computers to access the Internet, and
once the link to the Internet works OK, configure your internal network.
That is, read PPP-HOWTO and other documents related to configuring your
dial-up access. Check that it works fine, and then
Home-Network-mini-HOWTO may be what you need (you should also read
Firewall-HOWTO, IP-Masquerade-HOWTO and IPCHAINS-HOWTO).

Hope it helps,
Jose Luis Domingo

Home network without cable/dsl?

Post by Peter B. Steig » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On 19 Jun 2000 15:35:19 GMT, Desmond Coughlan sez:

Quote:>You only need the DLS or cable connection in the context of getting onto
>the Internet.  For your LAN, two machines, some RJ-45 cable, and a hub
>are basically all that you need.  Check out the Net HOWTO, the Intranet
>Server HOWTO, and so on ... http://www.veryComputer.com/
>list.

A two-machine network can also get away without the hub... just use
a crossover cable.  And for a REALLY low-budget LAN, since he says
speed isn't an issue, old 16-bit cards with BNC (coax) connectors will
work fine.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----
If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti*ts will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

1. Home network question...Cable/BSD/Linksys-CBL/DSL Router

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to find out if anyone here has this setup and how you are using
it.

I'm thinking about this but I have a few stumbles to overcome here we go:

BASIC LAYOUT

WALL --> CABLEMODEM --> BSD --> LINKSYS --> HOSTS

So the cable modem will have to pass an IP address to the BSD box since it will
be DHCP cable service. The BSD box will run as a firewall. The Linksys will just
act as a switch/hub for internal hosts and also pass out DHCP addresses when I
need them.

Does this sound feasible? I'm still confused on how I can safely setup the BSD
box to obtain an address from the cable modem and also check for any address
changes. Will this make IPFW impossible?

Still reading....thanks for any replies.

- GLOCK!

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

2. Where do I get NC configuration files for Linux?

3. Network without cable connection or without modem.

4. enligtment + gnome conflict

5. Best DSL/Cable router on the market for small home office?

6. X86 Updates 7/8 will not boot

7. problem with telnet on home network DSL - Help needed

8. Intergraph InterPro 225

9. Blade CAN NOT SEE Win box and Printer in Home DSL network

10. dsl home network with two nics, help

11. DSL home networking

12. lost DSL with home networking

13. Home networks with DSL and FreeBSD