PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

Post by Vern Hox » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Greetings:

>I have been trying to setup the following but have had not
>much success.

Much deleted.

Quote:>What magic is required so that the connection is established and ppp0
>remains active? Any help on this is appreciated.

Try putting your 'pppd' in the background by appending an ampersand to the
command line.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie                                           scicom!zebra!vern

Denver, Colo., 80212        uucp: 303-455-2670          voice: 303-477-1780

Post by Eric Sche » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>What magic is required so that the connection is established and ppp0
>>remains active? Any help on this is appreciated.
>Try putting your 'pppd' in the background by appending an ampersand to the
>command line.

This is a bad idea. Pppd goes into the background by itself, unless you
explicity ask it not to (by giving it the "-detach" option, read that
as "do not detatch"). Putting an ampersand on the command line that
invokes pppd is just asking for trouble (and in fact it will often
cause trouble with pppd not seeing modem disconnects).

-- eric

Eric Schenk                          www: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk

University of Toronto

1. ppp died after connecting to isp: need help

When I run kppp in SUsE from kde it dies unexpectedly. I've tried to comment
out "lock" in /etc/ppp/options but get the same results.I can issue a
command from root to dial my ISP and then check /var/log/ppp and everything
looks ok.My ISP uses dynamic IP and PAP.I also have a network card installed
for future connect to a LAN.
   I'm kinda stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks Matt

2. Warnings in kernel recompilation?

3. PPP connection via mac or win modem dialup to dedicated Linux ppp server

4. [2.5] introduce list_move macros

5. Connecting via PPP witn a PnP modem to an ISP using PAP

6. Please, need IP ALIASING help (long, but interesting).

7. How to connect to ISP via PPP?

8. Have I been hacked?

9. can't connect to ISP via PPP

10. How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

11. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

12. connecting to ISP via PPP

13. how can I connect my isp via ppp