POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by Chris Carringto » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I am having trouble with my windoze workstations in my LAN being able to get
e-mail from the linux server, no matter the e-mail client.  The workstations
can easily send e-mail via SMTP on the Linux box (although a bit slow), but
the workstations cannot receive their mail.  Tried both POP3 and IMAP.
However, on the Linux box itself, I can use a mail client (i.e. KMail) and
use both SMTP and POP3 to send e-mail to other users with no trouble.  Help!

POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Chris,

take a look into your '/etc/inetd.conf' file. It should contain
a line similar as follows

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popper -s

Make sure there's no # in front of it, because this is the
remark character ;-)

> Hello,

> I am having trouble with my windoze workstations in my LAN being able to get
> e-mail from the linux server, no matter the e-mail client.  The workstations
> can easily send e-mail via SMTP on the Linux box (although a bit slow), but
> the workstations cannot receive their mail.  Tried both POP3 and IMAP.
> However, on the Linux box itself, I can use a mail client (i.e. KMail) and
> use both SMTP and POP3 to send e-mail to other users with no trouble.  Help!

POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by Chris Carringto » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Actually, I've checked that.  It is not commented out.  What I DID forget to
check was the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, since I could use POP3 on

Hat is strange with its hosts.deny and hosts.allow files.  Which does it
"ignore" (or should I say conversely, "use exclusively") to set daemon
access policy?  Or have I been given misinformation?

Oh, thank you for the suggestion, Karlheinz.

-Chris.

> Hi Chris,

> take a look into your '/etc/inetd.conf' file. It should contain
> a line similar as follows

> pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popper -s

> Make sure there's no # in front of it, because this is the
> remark character ;-)

> > Hello,

> > I am having trouble with my windoze workstations in my LAN being able to
get
> > e-mail from the linux server, no matter the e-mail client.  The
workstations
> > can easily send e-mail via SMTP on the Linux box (although a bit slow),
but
> > the workstations cannot receive their mail.  Tried both POP3 and IMAP.
> > However, on the Linux box itself, I can use a mail client (i.e. KMail)
and
> > use both SMTP and POP3 to send e-mail to other users with no trouble.

Help!

POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by Dave Nutta » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Chris Carrington reported problems retrieving mail from RHL via POP and was
advised to check /etc/inetd.conf to ensure the POP3 line was uncommented, etc.

I have a nearly identical problem where I'm pretty sure the "stock" set up is
OK on the RHL server.  However, I've consistently noted in the /var/log/maillog
file there are messages that read:

(Snipped date-time/IP address stuff)

ipop3d[4783]:  Command file stream end of file while reading line

(Snip userID, IP, etc)

The mail will read just fine with ELM on the box itself, but it hangs MS
Outlook 2000 and/or Outlook Express.

Anybody have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX

POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by Bass¨D|?a » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

when I telnet to my linux
I can connect but prompt connection closed for about few seconds , why ???

> Chris Carrington reported problems retrieving mail from RHL via POP and
was
> advised to check /etc/inetd.conf to ensure the POP3 line was uncommented,
etc.

> I have a nearly identical problem where I'm pretty sure the "stock" set up
is
> OK on the RHL server.  However, I've consistently noted in the
/var/log/maillog
> file there are messages that read:

> (Snipped date-time/IP address stuff)

> ipop3d[4783]:  Command file stream end of file while reading line

> (Snip userID, IP, etc)

> The mail will read just fine with ELM on the box itself, but it hangs MS
> Outlook 2000 and/or Outlook Express.

> Anybody have an idea how to solve it?

> Thanks.

> Dave Nuttall
> San Antonio, TX

------

POP3 & E-mail Problems...

Post by ARMH » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

check if you have installed imap  package,  POP3 is integrated with  imap
package.

rpm -q imap

I bet it is not installed.

rgds/ARMH

1. pop3.email.msn.com pop3 protocol

I think I found solution. There are free shell accounts on Internet with
POP3 access.
But what is better on SPA compare to APOP command and MD5 algorithm in
POP3? What RFC is describing SPA (Secure Password Authentication)? Which
other company is using SPA? Is it standard or just Microsoft is using it?

Thanks,

    Stan

2. Static to DHCP - Printer says bad host

3. Run&Email&Secret_Command&Boot_Linux

4. PCI MWI cacheline size fix

5. ANNOUNCE - Beta available - DirectChoice - WWW & Email with no junk email

6. WTB/Borrow or Steal :) Developement Kit For SCI 3.2.2

7. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

8. KDM - kdmrc

9. Mail reader with POP3 & MIME for Linux & X

10. Merge & Netscape & POP3

12. Setting up POP3 email service

13. Email and Pop3 accounts