New to Linux-connecting Linux box to NT Server

New to Linux-connecting Linux box to NT Server

Post by Ken Jance » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I hope someone can help me out a bit. We just installed Caldera Linux on a
machine in my office. The setup of the office is about 20 Windows 98 macines
connected to NT Server 4.0. We installed Caldera on a machine that wil
dual-boot from Linux and Windows 98.

My question is: what are the steps to connect Linux to an NT server?? I read
about something called Samba, but being new to Linux, I'm not sure if Samba
is free, or if it is a separate animal.

If someone could help, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Jancef

Post by John Hil » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I hope someone can help me out a bit. We just installed Caldera Linux on a
> machine in my office. The setup of the office is about 20 Windows 98 macines
> connected to NT Server 4.0. We installed Caldera on a machine that wil
> dual-boot from Linux and Windows 98.

> My question is: what are the steps to connect Linux to an NT server?? I read
> about something called Samba, but being new to Linux, I'm not sure if Samba
> is free, or if it is a separate animal.

> If someone could help, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

> Thanks in advance,

> Ken Jancef

Samba is free, find a mirror from http://www.samba.org.  Read the docs,
and pay attention to the bit about competition with 'real' NT servers
for control of the domain.  It's not hard, but you need to pay
attention.

1. Can I connect, via callback, a Linux box to a NT RAS server?

Hi all!

I need to connect a Linux box to a NT 4.0 RAS :'( , and I want to do it
with a callback connection. Yes, I know there's some articles in the
news that talk about this question, but none of them seems to give a
good solution to me. Perhaps it's my natural incompetence ;')

At the moment, I have done several tests. First, I have modified the
kernel and the sources in the way specified in the ppp package to enable
the CBCP negotiation. I'm using the 2.3.3 version of the ppp package and
my kernel is a 2.0.33. When I call the RAS server, the user is
authenticated correctly. The callback occurs, but the second pppd
process (I don't know any other method) fails to establish the
connection. The log seems to indicate a problem during the LCP
negotiation. I think it's a kind of LCP "magic number" negotiation.

I have a secondary question about the pppd process and the callback
connections. If you try any pppd newest than 2.3.0, you can find that
the process deads when the modem hangs up to receive the callback. I
have tried the HANGUP OFF directive and the '-hup' option with a stty,
but nothing seems to change. Why?

If you have succeeded in that question, please, feel free to email me to
send your ideas.

One last thing: please, excuse my poor english.

Best regards.

--
Jaume Grane-Mora

2. DNS?

3. DIALUP: Howto connect Linux Box with NT server

4. Why not working session time accounting in freebsd ?

5. How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?

6. NYLUG.org 6/20, June meeting, Wed. @ 6:30pm - Reliable Networks & Services

7. How do I use my NT Domain ID from Linux box to NT Server?

8. generating sequence IDs

9. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?

10. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

11. Connecting Linux Server with NT Server

12. Connect a Linux box to NT network

13. How do I connect a linux box to windows nt network?