can't write script to telnet to port 25 (ETRN)

can't write script to telnet to port 25 (ETRN)

Post by Greg » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all. This is more a shell scripting issue i guess but someone here
might be able to help.

I have sendmail 8.8.8 running on any indy with IRIX 5.3

many customers with exchange and lotus use etrn to get their mail from
our server successfully.

PROBLEM: can't configure linux (slackware or redhat 5.1) to run the
following shell script successfully:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Send ETRN command to sendmail 8.8.x - Andy Rabagliati

#
telnet mail.my-isp.net smtp <<SMTP_EOF
ETRN my-domain.com
QUIT
SMTP_EOF
#
# End of Shell script
#

The indy's syslog reports:
Oct 13 16:55:10 6C:zen sendmail[12869]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from

But no ETRN.

When I use the script on the IRIX box it works.

On the linux box /bin/sh is a symbolic link to /bin/bash whereas on the
Indy it is the bourne shell itself.

Can anybody help?

:
: I have sendmail 8.8.8 running on any indy with IRIX 5.3
:
: many customers with exchange and lotus use etrn to get their mail from
: our server successfully.
:
: PROBLEM: can't configure linux (slackware or redhat 5.1) to run the
: following shell script successfully:

<script deleted>
:
: Can anybody help?
:

I would suggest using C-Kermit as your Telnet client.  The scripting
will be very easy that way.

http://www.kermit-project.org/ck60.html

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025

1. HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

I am having problems telneting or ftping to my box. I can telnet to
port 25 (using both the IP or host name); however, I cannot telnet (to
port 23) or ftp using either the IP or the host name.

Hosts.deny/.allow are empty...

...inetd is obviously running...

...DNS is running, and other systems are successfully using it as a DNS
server...

...telnet and ftp lines in /etc/services are uncommented...

...a grep of running services in inetd.conf shows both ftp and telnet.

When telneting to the IP, I get:
   Connected to hostname.com
   Escape characher is...

   Connection closed

Lastly, there is a user other than root.

Could this be a DNS problem (I just set it up as a DNS server -- it was
my first time) -- remember, I could telnet to port 25 using the domain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Where can I find Motif for Linux?

3. telnet to port 25 in a script

4. LinuxPPC - pmac-linux all ... Why is this distribution based on an ALPHA kernel. It's unstable for me!

5. Can't telnet to port 25

6. Kerneld for Linux 1.3.x

7. can't send mail because telnet port 25 refused

8. Ou l'acheter

9. can't telnet to port 25...

10. Block tcp/25 Services (telnet host 25)

11. 'Subject' line for Telnet 25?

12. Writing to a socket connected to Port 25

13. telnet to port 25 and qmail