IPv4 --> IPv6

Post by Anthony T. Wilso » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:57:22

I've noticed that Mozilla has already deployed IPv6 into their browser
while Knode is still using IPv4. Any idea when will the folks at KDE
deploy it?

# lsof -i

IPv4 --> IPv6

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:50:23

> I've noticed that Mozilla has already deployed IPv6 into their browser
> while Knode is still using IPv4. Any idea when will the folks at KDE
> deploy it?

> # lsof -i

I thought Knode was a news reader (That's what I'm using right now).  IIRC,
the browser is Konqueror.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

IPv4 --> IPv6

Post by Anthony T. Wilso » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 06:23:11

>>I've noticed that Mozilla has already deployed IPv6 into their browser
>>while Knode is still using IPv4. Any idea when will the folks at KDE
>>deploy it?

>># lsof -i

> I thought Knode was a news reader (That's what I'm using right now).  IIRC,
> the browser is Konqueror.

True you are, Knode is a newsreader and a mailer. I was only referring
to that difference in their use of IP protocols. You can easily check it
out yourself. Mozilla is a browser, and, can be utilized as a newsreader
and as an e-mailer. My question was aimed at KDE and Knode's deployment
of IPv6, if that is clear? Eventually it (IPv6) will all become uniform
but for now I was just asking. ;-}

1. Using IPv4 TCPMSS target with IPv6-in-IPv4

I have a braindead ISP that filters some ICMP but doesn't seem to
realise it. (Yes, I know, but choices are few. ):) With IPv4 I have to
use,

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

or large packets don't get through.

Now I'm playing with IPv6, again small packets get through and large
packets don't, so I'm guessing that exactly the same problem is
occurring. Unfortunately, the relevant gateway machines tend to run late
2.4 kernels, so ip6tables isn't offering a TCPMSS target.

But, that machine uses IPv6-in-IPv4 anyway (a route for 2000::/3 via
::192.88.99.1) so I am wondering: is there some magic that I can use to
make the IPv6 stuff use the IPv4 TCPMSS target, so I can get sensible
IPv6 connectivity without having to use a very recent kernel?

Mark.

--
Functional programming vacancy at http://www.aetion.com/

2. Help with SCO Unix! Please

3. IPv6: Allow Both IPv6 and IPv4 Sockets on the Same Port Number (IPV6_V6ONLY Support)

4. Satan and Netscape perl form problems?

5. ping <ipv6-host> does not work, ping <ipv6-ip> does

6. XF86Config file for #9 GXE

7. ipv4: move proc stuff from net/ipv4/af_inet.c to net/ipv4/proc.c

8. German Keyboard for 68K-Mac?

9. IPv4 vs IPv6

10. ipv4 program sends ipv6

11. what are the advantages of IPv6 over IPv4??

12. How to support IPv6 passthrough/bridge with a IPv4-only router?

13. (4/5) Brlock removal from ipv4/ipv6