Configuring Multicast routing on Linux 2.4.x

Configuring Multicast routing on Linux 2.4.x

Post by Nirmal Vuppulu » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:25:33

Hi,

I know this issue has been dealt with quite a lot in these pages but
please listen me out.

Problem:  Do I need mrouted or pimd for doing mcast routing with a
2.4.x kernel?

After reading the "Multicast Routing" section of the "Linux 2.4
Advanced Routing HOWTO", I concluded that I need pimd or mrouted or
such to actually do mcast routing, even though I enable IP Multicast
routing and PIM-SM v1 and PIM-SM v2 support when doing "make
menuconfig".  Specifically, the following line mentions something
about it:

"In the Linux kernel, you will notice that these options don't appear.
This is because the protocol itself is handled by a routing
application, such as Zebra, mrouted, or pimd. However, you still have
to have a good idea of which you're going to use, to select the right
options in the kernel. "

So, when I try to download "pimd" from the USC website, I read
something like:

"Linux kernel has PIM support. However, kernels historically older
than
  2.2.11 or 2.3.6 need a small fix. "

That has got me confused.  Any clarifications?  Any information would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch,

Nirmal.

1. Linux 2.4 and Multicast Tunneling

I am trying to figure out how to connect my machine to the MBone.
I am running the 2.4.2 kernel on a Red Hat 7.0 i686, and this is
where I am so far:

* My kernel supports multicasting and advanced routing:

CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y

* My host responds to ping 224.0.0.1.  My gateway (a SDSL modem/router
  made by Netopia for Covad), however, does not, nor does it respond
  to ping 224.0.0.2.  Therefore, I believe I must set up a tunnel to
  a host on the MBone in order to receive multicast datagrams from the
  outside world.

* I have read http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Multicast-HOWTO.html

* I know about mrouted, have downloaded the Linux version from
  ftp://www.video.ja.net/mice/mrouted/Linux as instructed in the
  Multicast HOWTO, and have successfully compiled it after messing
  around with the #includes a bit.  But after looking at the HOWTO
  documents and my kernel configuration, I began to wonder if the
  functionality of mrouted had been partially or fully absorbed
  into the Linux kernel.

* I have read http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html
  Unfortunately, Section 7 (Multicast routing) says:

  "FIXME: Editor Vacancy! (somebody is working on it, though)"

This is what I would like to know before I go further with mrouted:

* Is mrouted superfluous if I have the 2.4 kernel or does it provide
  some capability (e.g. multicast tunneling through a virtual interface)
  that the kernel does not?

* Suppose I know the IP address of a nearby multicast router and would
  like to set up a tunnel from my machine to that router (a tunnel to
  the MBone), so that I may receive multicast datagrams in spite of the
  fact that intervening routers are ignorant of multicast routing protocols.
  Can I set up an interface to accomplish this task without having to
  run mrouted?  If so, how?

--
Dave Bailey

2. High-speed modem at built-in serial port (RS/6000)

3. Configure and compile errors in 2.4.5ac20 and 2.4.5ac21

4. Rage Fury MAXX

5. Hearing multicast in 2.6 vs. 2.4

6. fork in cgi

7. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

8. OMAP1510 and Flash mapping

9. Multicast tunneling in 2.4

10. unix socket latency regression from 2.4 to 2.5 (and multicast AF_UNIX benchmarks)

11. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

12. Help Multicast routing under Linux

13. multicast routing woith linux.