SLIP data overruns

Post by Jim Owe » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am a new linux user but have managed to get a SLIP line up and forwarding to
my LAN.  Problem is that I am getting a high count on RX-OVR and TX-OVR on the
SLIP line as seen by netstat -i particularly when I am doing something like
an ftp from the client end(laptop).

Any help is appreciated
Jim

1. Slip Overruns

Hi,

for now i have no cable to connect the ethernet port of my sparcbook,
so i'm using a slip connection to my PC running Linux.

Now if i run ifconfig sl0, there's an alarming rate of TX and
RX overruns, and i just can't believe that. I looked in dejaNews,
and people suggested in the past, that this were the just an indicator
for compressed headers. Is that true? I also believe that
the performance is pretty bad - i get only around 2k/s
on a 38400bps link so this would be an indicator for some overruns...
I have the MTU the same on both sides. What more is there to do.
Oh, yes the SparcBook runs Solaris 2.5.1, if that matters.

             compressed:0
          TX packets:174520 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:124451 carrier:0

Rainer M. Canavan

2. NFS optimization

3. glm and data overruns with Fujitsu M-O drive

4. Newbie - X-windows influence on text mode

5. Meaning of RX/TX packet overruns in SLIP?

6. J. William McCarthy, where are you?

7. Data overruns?

8. Linux on CTX laptop

9. Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

10. Data overruns?

11. SLIP Serial packet *overruns*

12. OVERRUN ERRORS with SLIP

13. SLIP: overruns and >38400 baud?