Need help with networking via EtherExpress

Need help with networking via EtherExpress

Post by Phil Harr » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I hope someone can help get Linux to work with my Ether Express card.
I'm using Slackware 2.2.0 (Linux 1.2.1) in a Pentium based machine.
At boot time I get the following errors:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Also if I do a ifconfig eth0 I get eth0: unknown interface.

I have got the eexpress diag by Donald Becker and it sees the card just fine.

Can anyone give me any clues (preferably definitive answers!!!) as to whats
going wrong.

Any help much appreciated.
Phil Harris
Q.P.S.X. Communications Pty. Ltd.
Perth. Western Australia.

Post by Anish Shar » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I hope someone can help get Linux to work with my Ether Express card.
: I'm using Slackware 2.2.0 (Linux 1.2.1) in a Pentium based machine.
: At boot time I get the following errors:
: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
: SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
: SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

: Also if I do a ifconfig eth0 I get eth0: unknown interface.

: I have got the eexpress diag by Donald Becker and it sees the card just fine.

: Can anyone give me any clues (preferably definitive answers!!!) as to whats
: going wrong.

: Any help much appreciated.
: Phil Harris
: Q.P.S.X. Communications Pty. Ltd.
: Perth. Western Australia.

Have you compiled your kernel with etherexpress support?  If not, then
change directory to /usr/src/linux.  Do a 'make config', followed by
'make dep'.  Finally do 'make zImage' to create a new kernel which will be
saved in 'usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage'.  Copy this to / as vmlinuz.
Finally run /etc/lilo/install to ensure lilo knows about this kernel.  Reboot
to get etherexpress support.  Remember, while doing 'make config' answer
YES to 'install alpha drivers' (or something like that..).

If you have already compiled a kernel with ether-express support then look at
/var/adm/messages.  If the kernel does not see a etherexpress card it will log
it here.  One possible reason could be conflicting IRQs with other devices.
If you know the port address and IRQ, try passing it at boot time to the kernel
through modification of /etc/lilo.conf.

Good Luck!

Anish Sharma
Computer Sciences Corp.
Rockville, MD

1. Installing via network (NFS,FTP, or SMB) I need help badly

I have Red Hat 5.2 cd...and boot/supp disk
I have win 98 (AMD-2/333Mhz)
I also have 386 with 16mbram and 170mb HD

My win 98 that has two nic:

one NIC (I call it NIC A)which goes to cable modem and IP was assigned
dynamically (DHCP)..

 and another NIC (I call it NIC B )(it for temporary use)) I gave it IP of
10.0.0.1 and that goes to my another computer a 386 which has one NIC which
will have ip of 10.0.0.2

I wish to install Linux on 386 (to build firewall server for my cable modem)
but CDROM on 386 is inaccessible (old old interface) so Im left with choice
...install from NFS or SMB or FTP...

I can boot from RedHat flobby and go thru the usual step but when it comes
to "ready to install" it failed to "mount" win98's cdrom which has RedHat CD
in it....

this is only a temporary networking setup until I finally installed Linux
onto the 386 HD and after its done then I just reconfiger it after I
re-arranged the network setup later to accomplish my goal...

Please Help me out.....!!!

2. dosemu / console trouble w/Orchid VA/VLB

3. Troubles to accessing Linux via ethernet networking ---- need help!

4. XFree86 3.1.1 and xlock

5. Need help in using the multicast networking features via TLI

6. Mirroring files on 2 hosts

7. Need a network driver for the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100+ for RedHat 6.0

8. Cannot ftp into my machine as myself (user), but can ftp in as anon.

9. Help: How to install network for Intel Etherexpress

10. Help on Intel EtherExpress 16 network card

11. HELP Intel EtherExpress Pro/10: Network unreachable

12. help on making netbsd1.1 recognize my Intel EtherExpress network card

13. Need help setting up eth0 on an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+