1 * juyMiRlrV-[Qs] dhcp and ipmasq.....

Post by Xaaa JMAIL-exch2 » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Howdy,

late this year/early next yearand I am considering cable internet
access.

I have two RH6.0 boxes, a Win95 box and a Win98 box networked
with one of the RH6.0 boxes as a ppp0 internet gateway, the other
three masqueraded behind the gateway. All works fine.

My questions are:

can  dhcpcd and ipchains be used on the internet gateway box?
I want to masquerade/firewall the other RH box and Win boxes
behind the firewall.
-- How would my provided IP be made known to the other three
boxes?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Thanx in advance,
JWRose

Post by Darknoma » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Howdy,

> late this year/early next yearand I am considering cable internet
> access.

> I have two RH6.0 boxes, a Win95 box and a Win98 box networked
> with one of the RH6.0 boxes as a ppp0 internet gateway, the other
> three masqueraded behind the gateway. All works fine.

> My questions are:

> can  dhcpcd and ipchains be used on the internet gateway box?
> I want to masquerade/firewall the other RH box and Win boxes
> behind the firewall.
> -- How would my provided IP be made known to the other three
> boxes?

> Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
> Thanx in advance,
> JWRose

I use this configuration on a Time Warner cable modem:

I use a Linux box with two network cards- one out through the cable modem,
using dhcpd to get my IP. The second network card goes to my hub which runs
the rest of my network. I then use IPChain as a firewall/Router to make the
whole thing work.

Hope that helps, feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.

--Darknomad
www.thewatchtower.org