Linux Box, Win98 box, Two Network cards, Now What?

Linux Box, Win98 box, Two Network cards, Now What?

Post by NewKi » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 14:04:31

I have decided to turn my old K6II/450 into a linux box, I also have a
win98 machine, I would appreciate some help on networking the two
machines so I can share one printer, files and Internet connection. I am
running Caldera 2.4.

I have found some docs. on Samba but can't seem to get the demon
running.
Does anyone know how to use the Webmin Samba utility to set up my
network?

Thks.

Post by mo.. » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:43:38

>I have decided to turn my old K6II/450 into a linux box, I also have a
>win98 machine, I would appreciate some help on networking the two
>machines so I can share one printer, files and Internet connection. I am
>running Caldera 2.4.

>I have found some docs. on Samba but can't seem to get the demon
>running.
>Does anyone know how to use the Webmin Samba utility to set up my
>network?

>Thks.

Firt question: do you actually have the network set up, or not?
If you don't, you've got a ways to go before you start worrying
about samba.

First, decide which box is going to have the direct connection to the
internet via modem; it can work either way, I believe, I'm just not
familiar personally w/ setting up linux to use Win98SE ICS, though
I believe it can be done.

Get your machines connected physically, and make sure you can ping from
one to the other, maybe telnet from the Win98 box to the linux box, etc.
to make sure tcp/ip networking is functional _first_.

If you intend on putting the printer on the linux box, get the printer
set up and working locally (i.e. from the linux desktop) before you try
setting up samba.

Basically, it is to your advantage to get all the little pieces working
individually before you try to tie them together.

Monte

Linux Box, Win98 box, Two Network cards, Now What?

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 03:20:26

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have decided to turn my old K6II/450 into a linux box, I also have a
> win98 machine, I would appreciate some help on networking the two
> machines so I can share one printer, files and Internet connection. I am
> running Caldera 2.4.

> I have found some docs. on Samba but can't seem to get the demon
> running.

Before worrying about the Samba deamons (note the plural), worry about
basic connectivity. Can you ping each box from the other, for instance?
There are MANY nit-picky little steps between plugging the cables
together and sharing files and an Internet connection. I suggest you
either read a bunch of HOWTOs (check http://www.linuxdoc.org or the
HOWTO collection that comes with all major distributions; scan the list
and read everything on networking) or pick up an introductory book on
Linux networking. I've got a list at
http://www.rodsbooks.com/books/books-network.html, including one I
wrote. Given the little you've said about your intentions for this small
network, I can't be sure of what book would be best for you.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration