??:Slackware 3.6 - MailBox Always Has Mail?????

??:Slackware 3.6 - MailBox Always Has Mail?????

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi All;

I have another strange one!

I have installed Slackware 3.6 and then updated to V2.2.1 Kernel.  I
have updated PPP and net-utils.

Even when I erase all the email from my mailbox (I use Pine) when I
log into BASH it reports that I have mail (maybe its login reporting
it).  When I go look at my mailbox directly with 'vi' there is several
lines of text which states "do not delete, this entry will always be
automatically re generated".

It is apparently the "blank" entry which bash is seeing on login.

Does anyone know of an explaination for this?  How can I fix it such
that when there is no email it is reported as such?!

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

  Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                'City of the Thousand Islands'

           http://www.*tap.com/dmitton
     User Group: http://www.veryComputer.com/
  SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

??:Slackware 3.6 - MailBox Always Has Mail?????

Post by Arthur Corli » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:16:19 GMT, Douglas E. Mitton

>lines of text which states "do not delete, this entry will always be
>automatically re generated".

>It is apparently the "blank" entry which bash is seeing on login.

>Does anyone know of an explaination for this?  How can I fix it such
>that when there is no email it is reported as such?!

It's not Linux, it's your ISP.  Some mail server packages keep user mail
configuration settings in that e-mail.  If you're using fetchmail or another
package to transfer your mail with the -a switch, you'll get it, even after
you delete.  The only work around is to not download any mail marked as read.

        --Arthur Corliss
          Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/

1. Redirecting mail messages from user mailbox to another mailbox

Hi there.

I manage a HP Series 9000 Unix system (running HP-UX version 9.04)
which services the needs of 30 users.  The main application program
that we use is System 6000, developed by The Control Group Ltd.

Recently, we have tested a new email package (ZMail), a facility that is
not
part of the System 6000 software.  What I have found is that any error
 or completed jobs messages that have been initiated by a user through
System 6000 are sent to that user's mail box.  Thus, when the user runs
ZMail, the messages list shows any messages sent by other users
including
any messages from System 6000.

I need to know if there is a way to redirect these System 6000 mail
messages,
possibly to another directory, so that they do not appear on the user's
message list.

Andrew

2. nis: domain not bound

3. Upgrade Xfree86 on Slackware 3.6

4. Biostar vs. ASUS/SuperMicro/Intel

5. KDE1.1 and Slackware 3.6

6. Why doesn't Linux see all my memory?

7. kerneld/module problems with Slackware 3.6 and kernel 2.0.36

8. Syquest EZ135

9. slackware 3.6 + 3c509B

10. Upgrade to slackware 3.6

11. What dev? RedHat 5.2 or SlackWare 3.6?

12. glibc2 on slackware 3.6

13. installing slackware 3.6 on libretto