'Static Hostnames' while having a dynamic IP address

'Static Hostnames' while having a dynamic IP address

Post by Eric Brockman - Tech Suppor » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

How is everyone?

I was wondering, if there was such a technique to like say assign a static
hostname while i'm using a dynamic address.  Like for example,
eric.ispprovider.com instead of having dial***.ispprovider.com everytime
being different.

I was talking with the ISP sysop and he was like he has sceen it before
but doesn't know how to do it or who to talk to.  If y'all could help I
would be grateful.

 Eric J. Brockman

 http://welcome.to/ericshome

-----------------------------

"What's popular isn't always right.  You say polls are against this.
Polls measure changing feelings, not steadfast principle.  Polls
would have rejected the Ten Commandments.  Polls would have embraced
slavery and ridiculed women's rights.  You say we must draw this to a
close.... The point is not whether the President can prevail, but
whether truth can prevail."

--Rep. J.C. Watts [R-OK], House Impeachment Debate, 12/19/98

-----------------------------

'Static Hostnames' while having a dynamic IP address

Post by Rick Onania » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Here is a link to a FAQ that will interest you.
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Dynamic-IP-Hacks

Also, there are some domain name services that will give you a shared
domain that can adapt to your dynamic IP. I don't know about getting a
static hostname on your ISP's domain, tho.

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
---------------

'Static Hostnames' while having a dynamic IP address

Post by Cameron Spitze » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Here is a link to a FAQ that will interest you.
>ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Dynamic-IP-Hacks

That URL is bad.  Try
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/mini/Dynamic-...

Quote:>Also, there are some domain name services that will give you a shared
>domain that can adapt to your dynamic IP. I don't know about getting a
>static hostname on your ISP's domain, tho.

I used dyn.ml.org until it went out of business last year.
There are a couple of short lifetime, easy update DNS providers,
but the ones I could find are all commercial.  Anybody know
of a replacement for Monolith?

Cameron

'Static Hostnames' while having a dynamic IP address

Post by Aidi » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

http://www.dhs.com is a ressurection of some projects by the same
people that brought Monolith(ml.org) up until its death.

Err, as for that http://yourname.yourprovider.com stuff.. try virtual hosting
for http... Otherwise, you'd be best to get chummy with someone who
owns/operates a nameserver and a domain name. They could give you
a subdomain of theirs... They own, say, poo.com, then they can let
you use whatever.poo.com with a zone file in /var/named...
With a shell account on their machine,  a couple scripts, sudo
and some trust, you can set up something where either you update
your IP manually in the zone file, or you can write another script
that will log you in and recreate the zone file with the new IP.
Once you've got the zone file an appropriate access, you can have all
sorts of fun. :) www/ftp/mail/etc.whatever.poo.com, with the help of
some CNAME entries...

--
.in an interstellar burst
i am back to save the universe.

: >Here is a link to a FAQ that will interest you.
: >ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Dynamic-IP-Hacks

: That URL is bad.  Try
: ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/mini/Dynamic-...

: >Also, there are some domain name services that will give you a shared
: >domain that can adapt to your dynamic IP. I don't know about getting a
: >static hostname on your ISP's domain, tho.

: I used dyn.ml.org until it went out of business last year.
: There are a couple of short lifetime, easy update DNS providers,
: but the ones I could find are all commercial.  Anybody know
: of a replacement for Monolith?

: Cameron

1. Static Hostname, Dynamic IP address...

Folks,

I have just recently solved the problem that I was having with my pc and
my modem.  Silly me, I didn't think about IRQ conflicts...but enough of
that, things are working just fine now.

I have another question that I was hoping that you fine folks might be
able to help me out with.  I am a bit confused as to how I can use a
"Static Hostname" (being whatever I name my machine) and a "dynamic IP
address" that I get when I dial in to our terminal server to get things
such as "mail" and "news" working.

Currently when I send e-mail out of my box, it makes it to the
destination intended.  But if I reply to it, it never makes it since the
host that I am replying from doesn't know that my linux box has "IP
address whatever" and that that is where the mail is supposed to go.

Now I have read news articles talking about IP masquerading and someone
here said that we could use "dig" to do what we want (first I have ever
heard about that program), so I am a bit confused as to where to start
looking for information on resolving this problem.

Anyone got any helpful pointers as to where to beging looking (HOWTO's or
FAQ's), or how they have solved this problem?

Please respond via e-mail.  Any and all help greatfully appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Pete

--

http://circe.itc.Virginia.EDU/~prt7u  - Phone:  (804) 982-4690
*** The 11th Commandment:  Thou shalt not "Tweak" the modem ***

2. Is it not stange that any user can see who is sending mail to who when using the mailq command?

3. 'Sticky' static IP address

4. averiguar fecha

5. Help, 2 dynamic IP's and 1 static IP

6. Unix, Pipe and Fork

7. 'mount -t cifs' only works with IP addresses, not with hostnames

8. Kernel panic when trying to mount a scsi cdrom.

9. 'iijppp -auto' and Dynamic IP Address Allocation

10. Dynamic IP address and 'r' commands?

11. DIP patch (dynamic IP address trapping, route 'default' option)

12. Static IP address from Dynamic IP

13. Dynamically assign VPN IP's to LAN static IP's