Network via serial/parallel

Post by D.Zvora » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Is it possible to network a computer running win95 and a computer
running linux via serial/parallel port? If so, where can I go for
further information?
--
Daniel C. Zvorak

Friends:

http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~gjg1

Post by Stephen M. Weis » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Is it possible to network a computer running win95 and a computer
> running linux via serial/parallel port? If so, where can I go for
> further information?

If you have the answer to this, please post it to the newsgroup (or cc
it to me if you must mail it), because I was about to post the exact
same question.  Thanks!

--
Stephen M. Weiss

"As was never before, and is not now, shall never be again"

Post by Drak » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > Is it possible to network a computer running win95 and a computer
> > running linux via serial/parallel port? If so, where can I go for
> > further information?

> If you have the answer to this, please post it to the newsgroup (or cc
> it to me if you must mail it), because I was about to post the exact
> same question.  Thanks!

> --
> Stephen M. Weiss

> "As was never before, and is not now, shall never be again"

I've connected Win95 to Linux with a null modem cable using PPP.

Here's How:

1) Get this file: (Hold Down Shift And Click)
http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/mdmcbx.inf

2) In Win95, add a new modem and say you've got a disk with the driver.
When Win95 asks you for that disk, specify C:\temp\mdmcbx.inf or where
ever you put it.

3) Now you have a "Modem" set up in Win95 for your null modem cable.

4) Double check your settings on that "Modem" in Win95 (and remember
exactly what speed you have it set to, it's very important)

5) Get this script: (Hold Down Shift And Click)
http://baste.magibox.net/~pfitz19/win95ppp.sh

6) Edit that script and change the com port, speed, IP addresses, and
netmask to match your situation.

7) Make sure this script is executable by typing "chmod u+x win95ppp.sh"
and run it by typing "./win95ppp.sh &"

8) Then bring up Dial Up Networking in Win95 and connect using "Modem"
entry we just made. BE PATIENT, THE CONNECT MAY TAKE A WHILE!!! If you
get an error, double check your settings in Win95, because more than
likely that's where theh problem is.

to help, but I can try.

Paul

Post by David Sye » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Is it possible to network a computer running win95 and a computer
> running linux via serial/parallel port? If so, where can I go for
> further information?

The serial option you know about.  The parallel option is PLIP, and
generally it should be much faster than PPP.  The linux side is covered
by a PLIP HOWTO.  The win95 side I can't help you with since I've only
ever managed to get two linux boxes talking this way.  (I've tried over
and over again to get dos/win3.1 to talk to linux using PLIP and the
Crynwr plip packet driver to no avail.  Anybody out there got that
working?)

Dave.

Post by Norman Brak » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > Is it possible to network a computer running win95 and a computer
> > running linux via serial/parallel port? If so, where can I go for
> > further information?

> The serial option you know about.  The parallel option is PLIP, and
> generally it should be much faster than PPP.  The linux side is
> covered by a PLIP HOWTO.  The win95 side I can't help you with since
> I've only ever managed to get two linux boxes talking this way.  (I've
> tried over and over again to get dos/win3.1 to talk to linux using
> PLIP and the Crynwr plip packet driver to no avail.  Anybody out there
> got that working?)

> Dave.

I have a notebook running Win3.11 connected to my Linux host via PLIP
and it works quite well.  I used the Crynwr plip packet driver and
Trumpet Winsock 3.0d.  My biggest problem was setting up the name
server.

Norm

1. Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

The story begins like this:

  I have one old slow laptop and one new fast desktop. One day I was
thinking about connecting 'em together. Of course, I can get several
pieces of wire and solder 'em to the couple of DB-9's and start pppd.
Or even worse, get many pieces of wire and start plip.
But I think that it ain't no fun walking around the house on a leash
like a dog :-)
  So ... the idea was born: It would be cool to have a wireless
NULL-modem connection. I am sure that it is quite possible to make such
a beast and I'd try to do it myself, but I was wondering if someone have
already done it?
  Unfortunately, the laptop does not have a modem or any PCMCIA
slots ... I have to forget about simple modulation or wireless
ethernet :-(

 Ideas anyone????? Or maybe someone heard about such a thing existing?

Eugene.
--
Eugene Anikin                 http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/anikin

Cascade Design Automation   - one easy step from Language to Layout

2. Minimum Requirements for Apache Installation..

3. Logging onto Linux via Serial or Parallel Port

4. so close ! [=> pesky tinyX bug]

5. connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

6. Solaris on laptops

7. Acessing a Linux PC via Serial or Parallel port.

8. 100Mbs Fullduplex for elx on x86

9. Coonecting Two machines via serial/parallel

10. Keyboard via Serial/Parallel port

11. Network Connection via Parallel Port

12. Q: Networking via the parallel-port

13. Installing-Networking via Parallel Port?