hostname not getting recognised

Post by sude » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:19:07

Hi folks ,
       heres a problem I am stuck with , and I need some help. I am a
newbie as far as networking is concerned, so ...
Here goes :

1. Redhat 8.0
2. gets IP from DHCP
3. hostname doesnt get recognised. By this , what i mean is
    a. From some other station , I can ping this box by IP address
    b. From some other station , I dont get a reply when I ping by
hostname.

4. I also added a  window$ 2K box to the same network , that works
fine , both with IP and hostname
5. I tried redhat-config-network, in the eth setttings, specified the
hostname, checked automagically obtain DNS info from provider.doesnt
work.
      Any help would be welcome

hostname not getting recognised

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:54:27

Quote:> Hi folks ,
>        heres a problem I am stuck with , and I need some help. I am a
> newbie as far as networking is concerned, so ...
> Here goes :

> 1. Redhat 8.0
> 2. gets IP from DHCP
> 3. hostname doesnt get recognised. By this , what i mean is
>     a. From some other station , I can ping this box by IP address
>     b. From some other station , I dont get a reply when I ping by
> hostname.

Are you using DNS?  Is the hostname in the zone file for your domain?

If you don't know what that means, edit /etc/hosts

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/

Post by sude » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 05:49:09

> > Hi folks ,
> >        heres a problem I am stuck with , and I need some help. I am a
> > newbie as far as networking is concerned, so ...
> > Here goes :

> > 1. Redhat 8.0
> > 2. gets IP from DHCP
> > 3. hostname doesnt get recognised. By this , what i mean is
> >     a. From some other station , I can ping this box by IP address
> >     b. From some other station , I dont get a reply when I ping by
> > hostname.

> Are you using DNS?  Is the hostname in the zone file for your domain?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes I am. But I dont control the DNS , the sysad does. Why doesnt this
problem occur with a windoze box ? With Win , i can just join a domain
and it seems to recognise everything. Why not with linux ? The
redhat-config-network has a setting for the DHCP which lets you
specify a hostname. Doesnt work.
So do I need to drop a mail to sysad ?

Quote:> If you don't know what that means, edit /etc/hosts

Sure , and go around editing the hosts on all boxes from which I need
to access my box , and then make changes when the DHCP decides to
gives me a new IP.

1. getting Linux to recognize WINS hostnames

Hi All,

Our network has a Win NT server, running WINS to handle hostnames, and
a RH7.1 Linux box.  I'd like to be able to configure the Linux box so
it can recognize the hostname->IP mapping handled by the WINS server.
Any ideas how I would achieve this?
The NT server must remain un-modified and un-affected by the Linux
box.

TIA,
Sean

2. have $HOME/.xsession executable denies login?

3. hostname not recognized outside my machine

4. Binaries

5. Sendmail, hostname not recognized as local

6. SMC EzCard 1208/1660 Support?

7. syslog not recognizing hostname

8. 2.5.39 s390 (18/26): fpu registers.

9. NCSA 1.5a not getting (null) hostname

10. Why is hostname getting set on 2nd reboot, not 1st after jumpstart?

11. Netscape on Linux not getting hostname for mail and news posts

12. My network adapter card not getting recognised

13. What if I write ipaddress, not hostname in hostname.eri1?