??:Kernel V2.2.1 - IP Alias - eth0:0 Is Invisible To 'ifconfig"???

??:Kernel V2.2.1 - IP Alias - eth0:0 Is Invisible To 'ifconfig"???

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have Kernel V2.2.1 up and running just fine.  PPP, Masq and all are
working ... its just that I have a strange side effect.

My Linux machine MASQ's for my kids Win3.11 machine via a PPP dialup
connection.  In order to make it flexible I IP alias the GATEWAY IP on
the same machine as my Linux IP address ... don't know why, I just
wanted to treat the GATEWAY x.x.x.1 address special.

When I ifconfig to view the ethernet devices only the primary eth0
(and of course lo and ppp0) show up, not the eth0:0 alias device.  The
alias device works, it can be "pinged" and the MASQ setup works fine
(the Win3.11 machine points to the x.x.x.1 GATEWAY interface).

The V2.0.36 load I was running previously worked just fine as well and
was visible in a normal fashion (with ifconfig).  Has anyone an
explaination or a fix for this situation.  Its more of a nuisance than
anything else.  I've been all through the /proc file system looking
for a reference BUT I can't find eth0:0 either.

I think all my utilities are upgraded enough.  I am a minor release
behind on a couple of things and some packages I don't have installed
at all ... this is per the V2.2.1 CHANGES file.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and/or help!

  Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                'City of the Thousand Islands'

           http://www.*tap.com/dmitton
     User Group: http://www.veryComputer.com/
  SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[...]

1. ?:Kernel V2.2.-IP Alias-eth0:0 Is Invisible To 'ifconfig"?

[...]

           http://www.cybertap.com/dmitton
     User Group: http://signals.rmc.ca/klug
  SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

2. Umax S900

3. ??: Ip Alias Invisible Under V2.2.1??

4. Data archiving requirements for particular industries

5. ifconfig eth0:0 gets error - IP aliasing broken

6. 5/8 LTT for 2.5.33: PowerPC trace support

7. Ifconfig alias problems on NE2000 clone, 2.1-R

8. Building GCC as Solaris2.4 -> SunOS4.1.3 cross-compiler

9. KDE v2.2.1's Konqueror won't start!

10. Smart ifconfig? (aliasing 2 IP's)

11. Oops with kernel 2.4.20-pre10-ac2 on `ifconfig eth0 down' with PPPoE

12. SUMMARY Re: TCP/IP setup on ISC 3.2 V2.2.1

13. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"