I need HELP with DIP to connect to server - HELP!! HELP HELP

I need HELP with DIP to connect to server - HELP!! HELP HELP

Post by Marlon Bran » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I'm new with LINUX and I want to connect my PC (a standalone PC with
Pentium) to my server provider. Untill now I connect with Windows with
Trumpet Winsock with the following setup:
IP      131.175.3.252
Net Mask        255.255.255.0
Name server     131.175.5.10
MTU     1500
Van Jacobson compression and I use PPP.
I need to write the dip script to connet with the provider.
Please note that I do not know how to set my linux with config
(netconfig) and all my tentative to write the sripts were wrong
(trying a PING to  131.175.5.10 I have no packages back).
If anybody can help me .... Thanks

--------------------------------------
M.G.

--------------------------------------

Post by Keith Rowla » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Previously, Marlon Brando (s...@bach.cefriel.it) stated:

> If anybody can help me .... Thanks

Here is a HOW-TO I wrote for our Provider. Subsituting your name and
provider data might help you get started.

             Using Linux with Dialup SLIP and Primenet HOW-TO
                  kei...@primenet.com    (Keith Rowland)
                      Last updated, June 8, 1995

This document gives the reader the STEP-by-STEP procedures to perform to
get your Linux system talking to Primenet.com using a dial-up SLIP account
and using local Linux programs like telnet, ftp, pine, tin, etc.

This should work on other ISPs, but you must assume it will need
adjustments. These steps assume you are using the dynamically assigned IP
addresses from Primenet.

Contents:

1. Requirements of Linux, disk sets
2. Getting DIP running
3. Testing telnet, ftp, ping, traceroute
4. Setting up tin
5. Setting up pine
6. Terminating the connection
7. Other information

1. Requirements of Linux, disk sets

You need to be using a kernel that has tcp/ip drivers linked in. I am
using IDENET version of the kernel from slackware.

You need to have installed the N disk set. This includes all the Internet
tools and tcp/ip stuff.

Make sure you have defined a modem device during the installation or just
use these port names later.

MS-DOS COM1    is really     /dev/cua0    under Linux
MS-DOS COM2    is really     /dev/cua1    under Linux
MS-DOS COM3    is really     /dev/cua2    under Linux
MS-DOS COM4    is really     /dev/cua3    under Linux

2. Getting DIP running

Edit /etc/hosts and add the following:

        # Primenet
        198.68.32.11    primenet.com

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and insert the following:

        domain primenet.com
        nameserver 198.68.32.10

Create a file in your root home directory (/root) called dip.scr and add
these lines, but change the login and password to match your current
setting for SLIP login. Enter your modem port and different phone number
if not in Phoenix. You can just cut and paste this text. The areas to
change are marked with ### Comments.

dip.scr:
------------------ Cut here ---------------------
#!/sbin/dip

main:
        get $mtu 1048
        get $remote primenet.com
######################################
### This is COM 2, use cua0 for COM 1
        port cua1
######################################
        speed 57600
        parity N
        databits 8
        stopbits 1
redial:
        reset
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
######################################
### Phone number of local connection
######################################
        send atS11=60dt3951111\r
        wait BUSY 12
        if $errlvl == 0 goto redial
        wait CONNECT 60
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
        wait ogin: 15
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
###################################
### Enter your UserName, with a S
### in front of it. Just like Winsock
###################################
        send USERNAME\r
        wait ord: 10
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
###################################
### Put in your password
###################################
        send PASSWORD\r
        get $remote remote 10
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
        get $local remote 10
        if $errlvl != 0 goto error
        default
        print CSLIP to $remote with address $local
        mode CSLIP
        goto exit
error:
        print SLIP to $remote failed
exit:

----------------------- End here -----------------------

To start the SLIP interface each time you want it, login as root and
execute dip. I like to run the dip interface from my root login directory.

        cd /root
        dip dip.scr

DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU WANT ACCESS TO PRIMENET.

This will dial, connect and get a dynamically assigned IP address for
this session only.

3. Testing telnet, ftp, ping, traceroute

You should be able to now use simple Internet TCP/IP tools. You should be
able to ping and traceroute. Any and all of these should work at this point.

        ping ftp.primenet.com
        traceroute oak.oakland.edu
        telnet primenet.com
        ftp ftp.primenet.com

4. Setting up tin

Login in as root user.

Edit your /etc/profile and add these line near the top, change the
USERNAME in the Reply-To address. You MUST use the Reply To feature,
since tin will report your from address as your local Linux box hostname.
Which of course doesn't have a IP address that anyone can get to. So you
must put in a Reply-To address to go to Primenet.

        export NNTPSERVER=news.primenet.com
        export TINRC="-r -n"
        export ORGANIZATION="My Company"
        export VISUAL="pico -t"
        export INEWS_MAIL_DOMAIN="mailhost.primenet.com"
        export REPLYTO="USERN...@primenet.com"

Edit /etc/NNTP_INEWS_DOMAIN and insert

        primenet.com

Copy it to /etc/inews_mail_gateway too.

Different compile time versions of tin may exist. So putting the news
server name in all the right places, increases your chance of success.

You must have Sendmail installed and configured if you want to reply to
news and send them via primenet SMTP.

Login in as your personal username, which should be the same name as you
use on Primenet. (This makes things simpler for tin and pine.)

Grab your .newsrc file from your home directory on Primenet and place it
in your Linux home directory. Use ftp if you want, it works now.

If you have changed your tin defaults on primenet, you may get your tinrc
file from primenet too. It is ./tin/tinrc

Execute tin.

5. Setting up pine

You MUST use the popclient program first to read your mail from primenet
and place it on your local hard drive. Then you can use pine to read and
send replies.

First set up pine. Login as your personal name login and run pine for the
first time so it sets up some default files. Exit pine.

Edit .pinerc and edit these lines:

        # Over-rides your full name from Unix password file.
        personal-name=FirstName LastName

        # Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
        user-domain=primenet.com

        # List of SMTP servers for sending mail.
        smtp-server=mailhost.primenet.com

Next we will create a script called 'm' for running popclient to get our
mail and then running pine. You can copy this file and edit "USERNAME" and
"PASSWORD" to your primenet username and password, which can be different
than your password on your Linux system. But for simplistic reasons, your
username on your Linux system should be the same as your primenet
username.

m:
------------------------ Cut here ----------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
if popclient -3 -p PASSWORD -o /var/spool/mail/USERNAME mailhost.primenet.com
then
        pine
fi
------------------------ End here ----------------------

Now to get mail, simply type m. Of course you have to have already run
dip and be connected to primenet.

6. Terminating the connection

When you are finished with your SLIP session, as a root user you can type:

        dip -k

This will drop the serial connections. Any applications that was using
the link will return errors and die if still asked to do something.

7. Other information

I have sucessfully downloaded, compiled and loaded several other InterNet
tools that don't come with the slackware distribution. These are:

archie     ircII     ncftp (newer)   gopher   Lynx

If you want any of these all ready to go, please E-Mail me and I will
inform you of the location of these files, either the orginal
location of the source or my compiled "ready-to-go" versions.

Refer to the NET-2-HOWTO file on your Linux distribution for a
description of all forms of networking.

The man page for DIP is also informative.

I wrote this file after I had all this set up and working. I tried to
remember all the steps I took, but I may have forgotted a step or two
somewhere. If ANYTHING doesn't work right, please let me know. I can't
support any of these applications, only the configuration of the files to
make it work with primenet.com.

Questions and comments regarding these instructions should be directed to
me, not Primenet. They might not even see this.

E-Mail:   kei...@primenet.com
FTP:      ftp.primenet.com      Directory: /users/k/keithr/linux
http:     //www.primenet.com/~keithr/

EOF

Best Regards, Keith in Mesa, Arizona
--
E-Mail: kei...@primenet.com     Packet: kg...@kc7y.az.us.noam
WWWURL: http://www.primenet.com/~keithr/

                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post by Gavrie Philips » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I'm new with LINUX and I want to connect my PC (a standalone PC with
: Pentium) to my server provider. Untill now I connect with Windows with
: Trumpet Winsock with the following setup:
: IP    131.175.3.252
: Net Mask      255.255.255.0
: Name server   131.175.5.10
: MTU   1500
: Van Jacobson compression and I use PPP.
: I need to write the dip script to connet with the provider.

No, you don't.
If you use PPP, just get pppd (standard w/ slackware).
Read the PPP HOWTO and you'll be up and running in no time...

Gavrie.

: Please note that I do not know how to set my linux with config
: (netconfig) and all my tentative to write the sripts were wrong
: (trying a PING to  131.175.5.10 I have no packages back).
: If anybody can help me .... Thanks

: M.G.

Gavrie Philipson