Laptop modem not found!!

Post by Avijit Purkayasth » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Programs like rp3 and kppp are unable to locate my pcmcia modem card. I
get messages like
`Sorry, modem not responding', even though the modem is physically
there. This is w/RH6.1.
It did work with a previous version -- RH5.1.  Any laptop users seen
this before? My pcmcia
ether card is configured correctly however.

My own guess as to reason to this problem is IRQ conflict. Typically the
BIOS setting for
ttyS0 is 4. However since that is the same IRQ for ttyS1, the OS resets
it at boot time to another
available one -- in my case-- to IRQ 11. The `setserial' command gives
me the new IRQ, not
the original BIOS setting. There is no way to check which IRQ programs
like rp3 and kppp are
seeing, so I am not sure if this conflict is what is getting in the way
of finding the modem.

Any suggestions towards thie original problem or towards the IRQ
conflict which may or may
not be causing this problem is appreciated.
Thanks
    -- Avi

Laptop modem not found!!

Post by Clifford Kit » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Programs like rp3 and kppp are unable to locate my pcmcia modem
> card. I get messages like `Sorry, modem not responding', even though
> the modem is physically there. This is w/RH6.1.  It did work with
> a previous version -- RH5.1.  Any laptop users seen this before? My
> pcmcia ether card is configured correctly however.
> My own guess as to reason to this problem is IRQ conflict. Typically the

The symptom sounds right for an IRQ conflict.  Use setserial to
explicitly set the IRQ (no autoconfig), IRQ 5 or 7 are usually good
choices.  You might have to decouple IRQ 7 from a printer port in the
BIOS, but most PC home printers don't benefit from using an IRQ anyway.

--

/*  Sign-of-our-times bumper sticker:  Honk if you hate dot-com! */

Laptop modem not found!!

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Programs like rp3 and kppp are unable to locate my pcmcia modem card. I
>get messages like
>`Sorry, modem not responding', even though the modem is physically
>there. This is w/RH6.1.
>It did work with a previous version -- RH5.1.  Any laptop users seen
>this before? My pcmcia
>ether card is configured correctly however.

Please set your wordwrap to something less than 80 col if possible.

Just went through this myself.  It was fixed in pcmcia-cs-3.1.10.  You
might as well update to pcmcia-cs-3.1.16 (or latest version), but until
then you could try using setserial to set the irq to zero and then back to
the irq that cardmgr in /var/log/messages or 'cardctl config' says it is.
If that fails, just set it to irq 0 w/setserial and it will work, though,
somewhat slower.

Or add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local until you update pcmcia-cs:

SERIAL=`/sbin/cardctl ident | grep serial`
if [ -n "$SERIAL" ]; then
        SETMODEM=`/bin/setserial -G /dev/ttyS1`
        echo "Modem settings $SETMODEM"
        /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 0
        echo "Tmp setting `/bin/setserial -bg /dev/ttyS1`"
        /bin/setserial $SETMODEM
        echo "Final modem setting `/bin/setserial -bg /dev/ttyS1`"
fi
sleep 3

/dev/ttyS1 typically uses irq 3, but pcmcia-cs assigns it any irq that is
unused unless it is excluded in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  You might try
commenting out "exclude irq 3" if there and /cat/proc/interrupts does not
show anything using it.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Laptop modem not found!!

Post by david.effla.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Programs like rp3 and kppp are unable to locate my pcmcia modem
 card. I
>get messages like
>`Sorry, modem not responding', even though the modem is physically
>there. This is w/RH6.1.
>It did work with a previous version -- RH5.1.  Any laptop users seen
>this before? My pcmcia
>ether card is configured correctly however.

Please set your wordwrap to something less than 80 col if possible.

Just went through this myself.  It was fixed in pcmcia-cs-3.1.10.
 You
might as well update to pcmcia-cs-3.1.16 (or latest version), but
 until
then you could try using setserial to set the irq to zero and then
 back to
the irq that cardmgr in /var/log/messages or 'cardctl config' says it
 is.
If that fails, just set it to irq 0 w/setserial and it will work,
 though,
somewhat slower.

Or add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local until you update pcmcia-cs:

SERIAL=`/sbin/cardctl ident | grep serial`
if [ -n "$SERIAL" ]; then
        SETMODEM=`/bin/setserial -G /dev/ttyS1`
        echo "Modem settings $SETMODEM"
        /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 0
        echo "Tmp setting `/bin/setserial -bg /dev/ttyS1`"
        /bin/setserial $SETMODEM
        echo "Final modem setting `/bin/setserial -bg /dev/ttyS1`"
fi
sleep 3

/dev/ttyS1 typically uses irq 3, but pcmcia-cs assigns it any irq
 that is
unused unless it is excluded in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  You might
 try
commenting out "exclude irq 3" if there and /cat/proc/interrupts does
 not
show anything using it.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
 http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. RH5.1 Laptop internal modem not found.

Help me if you can.  I have a new laptop, and I cannot access the internal
modem.

I have set up everything (X, pcmcia ethernet) on this new Twinhead Slimnote
XL266TK laptop running RH5.1.  This laptop has an internal Twinhead type "L"
56k modem.  Windoze can find/use this modem without problem.  Windoze say's
the modem is at IRQ 10, port 0x03e8.  The manual says that the modem has
a National Semiconductor 16550AN UART.  I don't know what the "N" means.
The manual and windoze also say that the modem is on com3.  The BIOS on the
machine is set "PnP Aware O/S=no".

I have tried "setserial /dev/cua2 irq 10 port 0x03e8 uart 16550A".  Whatever I
try, minicom will not talk to this modem.  There is a link from /dev/cua2 to
/dev/modem.  I am typing this message using an external 28.8 modem attached
to com1, which works just dandy.  Why I try the internal, I have tried
disabling com1.

I have searched the HOWTO's to death, and unless I'm missing something, the
answer ain't there.  Any help greatly appreciated.  I am on the road a lot
with this machine, and really would like to leave the old 28.8 external
at home.

Thanks.

2. How to partition

3. ping finds server from laptop, but not laptop from server!

4. Reminder: Linux Zomertoer

5. HSP Deluxe 33.6 modem (/dev/modem not found)

6. What book to learn configure LINUX perfect ?

7. Can't find modem, can dial in but get disconnected, due to no modem found.,

8. Fujitsu DynaMO 230 PC Card?

9. linux can't find pcmcia modem on a laptop

10. Modem not working with Linux on IBM thinkpad laptop

11. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

12. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

13. pppd does not find modem