NIS + NFS + autofs

Post by Raphael Arlit » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 23:48:03

Hi,

I have a central NIS server that mounts the home dirs of the users
from distributed machines from all over the network with autofs/nfs.

If a user logs into an arbitrary machine on the network (by NIS) he
should also get his home dir automounted to that particular machine.

The question is:

Can the client automount by using NIS directly from the other NIS client,
or does the NIS server have to mount the home dir and then reexport that
dir (in /etc/exports) by nfs to the client the user wants to login?

Help is really appreciated.
(I also tried comp.protocols.nfs where I also described the problem,
without a sufficent answer.)

Raphael

NIS + NFS + autofs

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 23:57:16

Hi Raphael,

Quote:> I have a central NIS server that mounts the home dirs of the users
> from distributed machines from all over the network with autofs/nfs.
> If a user logs into an arbitrary machine on the network (by NIS) he
> should also get his home dir automounted to that particular machine.

> The question is:

> Can the client automount by using NIS directly from the other NIS client,
> or does the NIS server have to mount the home dir and then reexport that
> dir (in /etc/exports) by nfs to the client the user wants to login?

NIS and NFS are totally separate.  In your case you would configure NIS to
provide login information to all of your clients that the user logs into.
Additionally, on each of these clients you would set up a automounter
configuration which NFS mounted the users home directory from the server
directory itself.  You can't export a file system on a machine which has
already NFS mounted the directory from somewhere else.  NFS is a server/client
model (hence the client always connects to the server to get the file system).

See ya

Dean Thompson

NIS + NFS + autofs

Post by Raphael Arlit » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 00:16:26

Thanks Dean,

I try to replace the local automounter configuration by using NIS, so
I only need to configure changes on the NIS Server.
The problem is that the home dirs are not on the NIS Server. They are
distributed all over the network.

Is it possible to get a configuration where anybody is able to login into
any computer while seeing his/her own data?

Raphael

> Hi,

> I have a central NIS server that mounts the home dirs of the users
> from distributed machines from all over the network with autofs/nfs.

> If a user logs into an arbitrary machine on the network (by NIS) he
> should also get his home dir automounted to that particular machine.

> The question is:

> Can the client automount by using NIS directly from the other NIS client,
> or does the NIS server have to mount the home dir and then reexport that
> dir (in /etc/exports) by nfs to the client the user wants to login?

> Help is really appreciated.
> (I also tried comp.protocols.nfs where I also described the problem,
> without a sufficent answer.)

> Raphael

1. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

I have nfs, nis working correctly.  I know this because I can mount my
server /home directory from the client, and also from the client, I can
access the passwd and group files from my nis server.  All this is fairly
easy to set up.  The problem I cannot resolve at this time is being able
to login to my server's home directories from the client machine.  It
logs into the / directory instead.  Here is what I know:

There are various packages like autofs and amd to take care of what I
want to do.  I am trying to do this with autofs.  My setup (yes I posted
several days ago, but the NIS HOWTO doesn't help me with this) is a
Debian server, with a Redhat 7.2 and Solaris 8 client.  I have read many
posts about these files:

/etc/auto.master
/etc/auto.misc
/etc/auto.home

and various other files.  I also have read the AutoFS HOWTO at:
http://www.linux-consulting.com/AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html

While it contains examples for autofs, I do not understand them fully,
otherwise, I would not be writing this now.  My questions are:

If /etc/auto.master contains (according to the auto.master manpage:

/home     /etc/auto.home

does the auto.master file reside on the client, server or both?  Also, is
the /home in this referring to the server's /home which I want to mount
on the clients /mnt/home?

I also am not sure what /etc/auto.misc is for, and where it lives, along
with /etc/auto.home.  My server's home directories are on my /home
partition and I can see them from my client machines on /mnt/home.
However, I can not figure out how to use autofs to take care of mounting
them when a user logs in.  The user must cd /mnt/home, and this is what I
want to automate.  I am sorry if my questions annoy anyone.  I want to
learn, and once I learn, I can also help other people.  Thank you.

Bob Gamble

2. Bizzare problem with Gnome and editing

3. Linux AMD/Autofs/NFS make Solaris2.5 NFS/NIS+ server crash, when using CSSC ...

4. Epox EP-8RDA3+ motherboard

5. NIS , NFS and autofs

6. wwwstat-1.0: not archiving logs

7. NIS, NFS and autofs

8. /etc/system commands?

9. using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

10. using autofs and nis with sun nis server

11. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

12. ??? NIS, NIS+, NFS slow down webserver delivering?

13. autofs mounting dirs under autofs mounted dirs.