Cisco VPN Client -> network hang or system lock

Cisco VPN Client -> network hang or system lock

Post by Kevin the Drumm » Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:52:02

Quote:> I just got a whole bunch of these messages:

>     eth0: Out-of-sync dirty pointer, number1 vs. number2.

> Where number1 and number2 don't match.  They're each about 25000,
> and they mismatch by about 15.  Too much of the time I also get a
> kernel oops right after this.  [At that point the system locks up
> hard, requiring a power-off reset.]

> This happens on a 2.6.7 kernel equipped Celeron machine using a
> RealTeK RTL8139 equipped network card.

A number of people in USENET suspected that this was hardware,
and I never did manage to find any hardware troubles.  I've since
discovered that this problem ONLY occurs if I happen to have the
Cisco IPSec VPN client running at the time.  I'm running client
version 4.8.00.0490.

I've since tried the Cisco client on a dual-core Athlon machine
running a 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet VIA VT6122 on-board ethernet
adapter in an ABIT AV8 3rd-Eye motherboard.  This system is
running Mandriva 2006.0, Christmas Club edition, with a security
upgraded kernel to version 2.6.12-27mdk.  While this system never
locks up hard, the network service will die, and traffic to/from
everywhere is disabled.  Restarting the "network" service brings
this system back to usable.  There are no suspicious messages in
/var/log/syslog nor /var/log/messages.

In both cases the badness occurs in the event of heavy network
traffic, e.g. copying a 50MB file to or from a machine.

Has anyone run into something like this?  How about how to fix
it or work around it?

Thanks....

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

Post by Chris Hunte » Fri, 10 Nov 2006 04:33:13

> Has anyone run into something like this?  How about how to fix
> it or work around it?

I had a similar problem years ago - it turned out to be a memory issue: I
was using kget, and the machine was running out of memory.  It appeared
that the downloaded file was being saved to a temporary file /in/ /memory/
before being copied to disc.  It only happened with /really/ big downloads
(like ISO images): more memory and an OS upgrade fixed the problem
entirely!  You might want to check what's going on with *top.*

C.

1. VPN Tunnel; PIX -> Cisco VPN Client for Solaris 3.5

Hi all,

does anybody have experience in establishing a connection between a
PIX Firewall 6.1 and a "Cisco VPN Client for Solaris 3.5"?? I tried to
configure both but I did not really have an idea what I was doing!

Does anybody have a basic sample config for both PIX and Client??

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards,
Tobias.

2. SoundCard Midi Input

3. Linux vpn & cisco vpn client

4. KVM with telnet and power

5. Oddball network hang, related to Cisco VPN

6. Unix Shell script and MySql

7. Linux network <-> Cisco VPN 3000

8. Comment

9. Cisco VPN Client

10. Cisco C5000 VPN client for FreeBSD?

11. Cisco VPN client through PF

12. Help with RedHat Linux 8.0 + Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1

13. redhat8 + cisco vpn client