HELP: SLiRP and pppd

Post by Shekhar Ralh » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I was wonderin' if anyone out there has used SLiRP on the remote
machine and pppd on their local Linux box to set up a PPP/SLIP
connection.  SLiRP on the remote machine is compiled and running
fine.  On the local machine, I've added a few IP addresses with
thier respective hostnames that I intend to ftp/telnet to from my
Linux box.  I added these in /etc/hosts.  Here's the problem...
I use Seyon to connect to my account on the remote machine.  I fire
up SLiRP (on the remote machine).  The Seyon terminal screen
then freezes up (because I'm running SLiRP) so I go into the "shell"
option and execute the following command:
 $/usr/lib/ppp/pppd debug crtscts modem defaultroute noipdefault
I then bring up an xterm window on my local Linux box and try to
do a telnet to my remote machine...but I can't!!  I get the
"host unreachable" error!  I even tried a finger and an ftp to my
remote machine...and still the same thing...host is unreachable.
What am I doing wrong??  Are there other "better" methods out there
for me to consider to set up an emulated PPP/SLIP link to my remote
machine??  Help would be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to be able
to connect anywhere from my local machine!

Shekhar

HELP: SLiRP and pppd

Post by Shekhar Ralh » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: You should better use "chat" to connect, login, and fire up SLiRP for
: you. The script syntax is extremely easy.  See man page for more detail.
: Good luck!

: Supak

Supak, I wish I could use "chat" to login...but the problem is that
the remote machine I wish to connect to has a "call-back" feature
for security purposes.  I dunno...can that be handled in the script
too??

Thanx.
Shekhar

HELP: SLiRP and pppd

Post by Supak Laile » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I fire
>up SLiRP (on the remote machine).  The Seyon terminal screen
>then freezes up (because I'm running SLiRP) so I go into the "shell"
>option and execute the following command:
> $/usr/lib/ppp/pppd debug crtscts modem defaultroute noipdefault

You must add /dev/modem to the command line or pppd will try to
establish PPP connection to your stdin/stdout.

Quote:>What am I doing wrong??  Are there other "better" methods out there

Post by Joonwoo N » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[...]

  Shekhar,

  Please double check the followings:

  - Did you enable IP forwarding when compiling kernel ?
  - Do you have proper entry(s) for DNS under /etc/resolv.conf ?
    This can be obtained from slirp session starting messages.
  - Did you start slirp with '-P' option ?
  - Try using 'dip377n-uri.tgz' package. It automatically starts pppd
    after typing 'mode PPP' followed by 'quit' under 'dip>' prompt.
  - After connection is made, try:
    % netstat -r (or route -n)
    and it should show something like below:

Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use    Iface
khushi.ecs.umas *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     4983 ppp0
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       88 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0       65 lo
default         khushi.ecs.umas 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     3652 ppp0

   Hope this helps,
   J.

--
Joonwoo Nam
MAGNUMS lab

HELP: SLiRP and pppd

Post by Xianfeng L » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone here succeeded to run X-clients remotely here using SLiRP?
Thank you.

                               Xian-feng

[...]

: --
: Joonwoo Nam
: MAGNUMS lab
: Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UMASS at Amherst

1. Please help me setting up pppd and slirp

Here's the problem:

I can connect to the Internet with slirp and pppd, but it always
lock up after about 2 minutes or before. I tried a lot of
configuration files, but it still does it.

My /etc/ppp/options file looks like this:

lock
/dev/cua0
19200
modem
defaultroute
crtscts
passive
(with sometimes some other things that don't work better)

And the .slirprc I use (sometimes it changes too)

-P
-ip
asyncmap ffffffff
escape 11,13

I'm quite sure that the /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are okay.
I have kernel 1.3.100 , pppd-2.2.0f and slirp 1.0c

Please if you got the same problem and was able to solve it, help me!
I'm trying to get it to work for about 1 week now... Also, all the
applications seem to work...ncftp, ftp, ping, telnet, etc...even
Netscape 2.02 work!

Thanx a lot,
Junk Food

P.S: If you want to reply via e-mail, you're welcome!

2. Firmware for Motorola Powerstack II Pro2000?

3. HELP: PPPD <---ppp---> SLiRP ?

4. make world with -O3

5. Slirp and pppd .

6. SiS 5598/5597 chipset

7. Best linux-unix link, pppd-slirp or term-term?

8. PPP Connection can't ping some sites

9. SLiRP, pppd, telnet

10. Linux pppd and SLiRP

11. PPPD/Slirp -P Nameserver Problem