Personal FireWall

Post by Marco Lehman » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:03:50

Hello,

after reading some articles to the theme above, I have the following
problem: I don't want to use my computer as router but I want to have some
kind of firewall for some more security. How do I configure iptables to
filter anything beetween ppp0 and ?. I don't think it is eth0, because it is
only for the connection between dsl-modem and pc. Is it the loopback device
? How can activate filtering for the loopback-device ?

Thanks in advance

Marco Lehmann

P.S. Sorry for the english but I'm coming from germany

Personal FireWall

Post by Sharath Udup » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:44:54

hi,
u could use ipchains to setup firewalls in your computer.
if u wanted to block all incoming tcp connections u could give
# ipchains -I input -p tcp -y -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d <your ip addr>/<subnet
mask> -j DENY
so it doesnt matter from which interface the request originated , it will be
denied.

the best place is "man ipchains"

SKU

Quote:> Hello,

> after reading some articles to the theme above, I have the following
> problem: I don't want to use my computer as router but I want to have some
> kind of firewall for some more security. How do I configure iptables to
> filter anything beetween ppp0 and ?. I don't think it is eth0, because it
is
> only for the connection between dsl-modem and pc. Is it the loopback
device
> ? How can activate filtering for the loopback-device ?

> Thanks in advance

> Marco Lehmann

> P.S. Sorry for the english but I'm coming from germany

Personal FireWall

Post by Marco Lehman » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:46:00

But I think some ports should be left open (http,smtp,pop etc.) to use my
computer for internet. I get my IP dynamically, so I don't know it at boot
time. Can I activate the filter after getting my IP from the ISP with the
local IP ? I think, I' ll just try it and hope it will work. It's a little
bit different to secure the machine without using a router. Maybe I will get
an old 486 and let it do the work.

Regards

Marco

> hi,
> u could use ipchains to setup firewalls in your computer.
> if u wanted to block all incoming tcp connections u could give
> # ipchains -I input -p tcp -y -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d <your ip addr>/<subnet
> mask> -j DENY
> so it doesnt matter from which interface the request originated , it will
be
> denied.

> the best place is "man ipchains"

> SKU

> > Hello,

> > after reading some articles to the theme above, I have the following
> > problem: I don't want to use my computer as router but I want to have
some
> > kind of firewall for some more security. How do I configure iptables to
> > filter anything beetween ppp0 and ?. I don't think it is eth0, because
it
> is
> > only for the connection between dsl-modem and pc. Is it the loopback
> device
> > ? How can activate filtering for the loopback-device ?

> > Thanks in advance

> > Marco Lehmann

> > P.S. Sorry for the english but I'm coming from germany

1. Which firewall?: NetBSD/i386 vs Sygate Personal Firewall 5.0

This is my first post to this newsgroup, so please forgive me if this
post is off-topic. I did not see a FAQ, but if there is one, please
direct me to it, thank you.

I have a Linux installation at home in dual-boot with Windows on a PC
and a laptop, and have acquired ADSL conncetivity. Being new to
network security, I looked for howtos on Linux security, finding lots
on firewalls and ADSL setup. However, there are also plenty of
firewalls for Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP (Sygate personal firewall for
one), and I wonder if there are any useful sites that discuss the
merits and demerits of these. In particular, I am wondering whether
installing both Sygate (for Windows) and NetBSD/i386 (for Linux) makes
any sense. Depending on the bootup, the connection to the internet
will be via a different OS and programs. If one is far superior to the
other, well, attaching an old notebook running just the better
firewall (plus webserver and mailserver perhaps?) on the required OS
would be feasible.

If ther are better forums to discuss this, or the answers to similar
questions are readily available elsewhere, please let me know
gently. The intricacies of network security seem a little overwhelming
at first.

Regards, Gernot

--
Gernot Hassenpflug MSc.(Eng.) Kyoto University  Fax: +81 (0)774 31-8463
Radio Science Centre for Space and Atmospheres  Tel: +81 (0)774 38-3868

WebHomePage: http://www.kurasc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/radar-group/members/gernot

2. Strange logging message

3. Fwd: SuSe 8.0 Personal Firewall questions

4. RH7.2 installation problem (IDE)

5. HP-UX personal Firewall??

6. tyan K7 thunder

7. personal firewall

8. Gateway Router help

9. Personal firewall needed

10. suse personal firewall

11. Per application TCP/IP traffic filtering in Linux (sort of personal firewall)

12. Personal Firewall