NE2K clone setup - another problem

Post by Richard Abraham » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hope someone can help - I'm new to Linux. I saw a similar posting to this
but it doesn't help me. I'm trying to set up an NE2K clone (RealTek
RTL8029). I used Yast to install it.

On boot up theres a boot message 'SIOCSIFFLAGS Resource temporarily
unavaliable'

dmesg shows that module (ne2k-pci) has been loaded, the correct card has
been detected but its been allocated to IRQ 0 (and address 0x5800). The
message states 'You should use PCI BIOS to assign valid IRQ'

I've added a line to modules.conf - 'options ne2k-pci irq=12 io=0x6800'
(values gleaned from Win98 installation) but this ledd to whole swathe of
error messages on boot up relating to 'invalid parameters' and the module
does not appear to be loaded and the card is not detected.

How can I either get autoprobe to assign a sensible IRQ or generate settings
manually. Thanks for any help someone can offer.

Richard

NE2K clone setup - another problem

Post by Chris Trudea » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

One of the crappy things about typical WINTEL platforms is the
limitation to peripherals byr IRQ and memory address...try the
following:

Your NIC should have come with a disk, boot into DOS, drop the disk
which came with your card in the floppy, and look for a setup or menu or
something along those lines...You either need to set the IRQ via the
jumpers on the card or soft means...set the IRQ to something not being
used check /proc/interrupts... set the mem to something independent
too...then make the appropriate changes in modules.conf...

this should work...

CT

Quote:> Hope someone can help - I'm new to Linux. I saw a similar posting to
this
> but it doesn't help me. I'm trying to set up an NE2K clone (RealTek
> RTL8029). I used Yast to install it.

> On boot up theres a boot message 'SIOCSIFFLAGS Resource temporarily
> unavaliable'

> dmesg shows that module (ne2k-pci) has been loaded, the correct card
has
> been detected but its been allocated to IRQ 0 (and address 0x5800).
The
> message states 'You should use PCI BIOS to assign valid IRQ'

> I've added a line to modules.conf - 'options ne2k-pci irq=12
io=0x6800'
> (values gleaned from Win98 installation) but this ledd to whole swathe
of
> error messages on boot up relating to 'invalid parameters' and the
module
> does not appear to be loaded and the card is not detected.

> How can I either get autoprobe to assign a sensible IRQ or generate
settings
> manually. Thanks for any help someone can offer.

> Richard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NE2K clone setup - another problem

Post by Malwar » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Richard,

> dmesg shows that module (ne2k-pci) has been loaded, the correct card has
> been detected but its been allocated to IRQ 0 (and address 0x5800). The
> message states 'You should use PCI BIOS to assign valid IRQ'

Just do what the message does state!!!

Quote:> I've added a line to modules.conf - 'options ne2k-pci irq=12 io=0x6800'
> (values gleaned from Win98 installation) but this ledd to whole swathe of

The module does not understand these parameters. The resources for PCI
cards are assign by the PCI BIOS and may change without notice to the
user.

Malware

NE2K clone setup - another problem

Post by M. Buchenried » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>dmesg shows that module (ne2k-pci) has been loaded, the correct card has
>been detected but its been allocated to IRQ 0 (and address 0x5800). The
>message states 'You should use PCI BIOS to assign valid IRQ'

[...]

Right.

Go into your system's CMOS and set the option PNP-OS to NO .

Michael

Post by Robert Pearc » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>[...]

>>dmesg shows that module (ne2k-pci) has been loaded, the correct card has
>>been detected but its been allocated to IRQ 0 (and address 0x5800). The
>>message states 'You should use PCI BIOS to assign valid IRQ'

>[...]

>Right.

>Go into your system's CMOS and set the option PNP-OS to NO .

Out of interest[1], is this what I need to do to make my RTL8019 (ISA)
card work on the Pentium, as the identical card does on the 486, and if
so will it cause any problems running Windoze (dual boot) ?

[1] Mostly interest only because I'm seriously contemplating the
purchase of a third PC[2] to run 'doze and then making the current box a
pure Linux one.

[2] ...or the innards to fill my spare case
--
Rob Pearce

The "from" must be wrong, nothing that helpful ever comes from the TAN team!

1. YDL-BIOS not enabling ne2k clone ethernet card

I have done a lot of research on this ethernet question. my card is a
MacAlly card with a RealTek 8029 chip -- a NE2000 clone, as I discovered
from D. Becker's ethernet driver site. I have used modprobe to load the
ne2k-pci module, using the i/o and irq settings I found in the /proc/pci
file. In fact, I have done this many times, and each time the eth0
interface fails to initialize at boot. The last time I tried this, the
dmesg file had the following text at the very end:

*******
cat uses obsolete /proc/pci interface
ne2k-pci.c: v.1.02 for Linux 2.2, 10/19/2000, D. Becker/P. Gortmaker,
http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

The PCI BIOS has not enabled this NE2K clone! Updating PCI command
0000->0001.
ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'Realtek RTL-8029 at I/O 0x400, IRQ23.
eth0: Realtek RTL-8029 found at 0x400, IRQ23, 00:00:1C:10:67:C4.\

*******

Could someone help me interpret what this means? If the card needs to be
enabled, how do I do that?

(The last time I checked  lsmod, the ne2k-pci module was not loaded. I
suppose this is because the card was not enabled at startup.)

Is there something else I need to do or check?

Thank you.

P.S. my computer specs are:
Model name: UMAX SuperMac C500
Processor info: PowerPC 603ev
Machine speed: 240 MHz
Built-in memory: 112 MB
Ethernet: 2 10BaseT PCI Ethernet Adapters

--Adrian Membrez

2. Can we increase the number of lines to be shown in a terminal.

3. NE2K Clones

4. Early determinition of bad sectors and correcting them ...

5. encore ne2k clone stoped working.

6. EZ-EDIT For Linux Released!

7. kernel panic with my NE2K pci clone

8. Windoze to RedHat 6.2 HELP!!!

9. Looking for info on these PCI ne2k clones

10. PCI NE2K CLONE!!

11. NE2K Card setup

12. RH 6.1 Printer (parport + lp) & NIC (ne2k) Problems

13. ne2k-pci problems w/ 2.3.51+