RSHD starts but stalls: WHY?

Post by Matt Murdoc » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Morning all,
        I have a quirk I can't seem to solve.  I have a LAN with a Linux server
here.  I would like to use RSH to submit simple commands from simple
(MS) clients.  Everything ran fine on our RedHat (4.0) system until
recently.  The security layer seems to be set up correctly and hardware
is not a problem.  For example, if I ussue the command:

        rsh <Server_Name> "ps aux>$HOME/ps.out"

The following occurs:

        "ps aux | grep rsh" on the Linux box reports in.rshd running (therefore
the tcp wrapper / inetd is spawning correctly).  An "ls" of the $HOME
directory reports a zero length ps.out file.  The client appears to be
waiting for a response.
        The problem is that the client may have to wait up to 10 minutes (even
when the Linux box is unloaded).  After this time, the request _still_
may not execute.

----

        I have tried updating in.rshd with older/newer versions.  I've tried
reinstalling the system libraries (they were recompiled some time ago).
I don't know what else to try!  Any help would be appreciated!

     Matt Murdock

RSHD starts but stalls: WHY?

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Morning all,
>    I have a quirk I can't seem to solve.  I have a LAN with a Linux server
>here.  I would like to use RSH to submit simple commands from simple
>(MS) clients.  Everything ran fine on our RedHat (4.0) system until
>recently.  The security layer seems to be set up correctly and hardware
>is not a problem.  For example, if I ussue the command:

>    rsh <Server_Name> "ps aux>$HOME/ps.out"

>The following occurs:

>    "ps aux | grep rsh" on the Linux box reports in.rshd running (therefore
>the tcp wrapper / inetd is spawning correctly).  An "ls" of the $HOME
>directory reports a zero length ps.out file.  The client appears to be
>waiting for a response.
>    The problem is that the client may have to wait up to 10 minutes (even
>when the Linux box is unloaded).  After this time, the request _still_
>may not execute.

How long does it take 'nslookup <client_IP_address>' to complete on
the server machine?  Sounds like a DNS problem to me.

Les Mikesell

1. tcp_wrapper rejeting rcp/rshd ALWAYS: Why

Hey all,
Strange problem here. I use tcp_wrapper (ver 7.6)  to controll access to
inetd controlled daemons. /etc/hosts.allow permits
rlogind,rhsd,telnetd,fptd from specified networks. On testing ALL
externally allowd hosts can access the box EXCEPT by using rcp. Rshd
contolls rcp, so I removed wrapper control of rhsd and viola rcp works.
(putting it back gives error message .. socket already in use or some
such thing)

Any ideas here ????

TIA
Devon Caines

2. routing with uneven netmask

3. cannot start rlogind and rshd

4. Disk Cache Buffers

5. is rshd started automatically under RH6.1?

6. HHD Help 2

7. in.rshd not always starting

8. who have used utmpxname()?

9. I would like to start rshd - how?

10. How to setup RSHD and start it for use with MPICH

11. X starts and sometimes X dosent start ... Why?

12. Stall-man is Stall-ing

13. Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?