Linux machine as a PPP dial-in server??

Post by RTF » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

I know you can set up a linux machine to dial in to a PPP server but in
this case the linux machine is already on the network and I would like
to set it up to be the dial-in server.  Including authentication and
everything.  So my question is: If this can be done, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!

   /\   /__\   /  \   |  Electrical Engineering Department
  /__\ /\||/\ /____\  |  Network Admin. /Computer Science Department
     /____\||         |

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

:
: I know you can set up a linux machine to dial in to a PPP server but in
: this case the linux machine is already on the network and I would like
: to set it up to be the dial-in server.  Including authentication and
: everything.  So my question is: If this can be done, how do I do it?

Easy really.

Ever used PPP (ya, I thought you have)? Now look in /etc/passwd
and notice that /bin/sh is the default shell - you can chage that
to anything...like a script that invokes pppd.

That is the basic idea. It is real easy to make it much fancier.

Good luck!

--
Andrew E. Mileski

Linux Plug-and-Play Project http://www.redhat.com/pnp/

Red Hat Software sponsors these pages - I have no other affilitation
with Red Hat Software, and I have never used any of their products.

Post by Justin Youn » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> :
> : I know you can set up a linux machine to dial in to a PPP server but in
> : this case the linux machine is already on the network and I would like
> : to set it up to be the dial-in server.  Including authentication and
> : everything.  So my question is: If this can be done, how do I do it?

> Easy really.

> Ever used PPP (ya, I thought you have)? Now look in /etc/passwd
> and notice that /bin/sh is the default shell - you can chage that
> to anything...like a script that invokes pppd.

(snip)
There is a lovely program called slirp which can help you do this rather
than wasting an IP address for PPP.  Do a yahoo search or e-mail me and
I'll send you the URL.

--
Justin Young          http://me.subr.edu/~justin
2212 Heck Young Rd.   ME Student/Systems Asst

Post by bill davids » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

| > Ever used PPP (ya, I thought you have)? Now look in /etc/passwd
| > and notice that /bin/sh is the default shell - you can chage that
| > to anything...like a script that invokes pppd.
| >
| (snip)
| There is a lovely program called slirp which can help you do this rather
| than wasting an IP address for PPP.  Do a yahoo search or e-mail me and
| I'll send you the URL.

I think I set up a system to just make pppd the login shell. And why
is an address wasted? I certainly don't specify any separate address
on my incoming server.
--

  Davidsen's third rule of system administration: the first part of
  finding a solution is to find the real problem.

Post by m.. » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I know you can set up a linux machine to dial in to a PPP server but in
>this case the linux machine is already on the network and I would like
>to set it up to be the dial-in server.  Including authentication and

You could visit the Livingston web pages.  They have a portmaster
terminal server 2e and 2eR (R stand for router).  They offer Linux
support for all of their software and hardware.

http://www.livingston.com

Robert Binz

Binz

Linux machine as a PPP dial-in server??

Post by m.. » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I know you can set up a linux machine to dial in to a PPP server but in
>this case the linux machine is already on the network and I would like
>to set it up to be the dial-in server.  Including authentication and

Look up http://www.livingston.com
They are the makers of the Portmaster 2e and 2eR
They also support Linux in their hardware and software.

Binz

Binz

1. Linux Machine as Unix Dial-in and Voice Answering Machine?

I have a single incoming phone line and am currently considering
several options for sharing the incoming phone line between incoming
modem/fax calls which should be directed to my PC running Linux and
incoming voice calls which I want to direct to an answering machine.

I am considering purchasing a modem with voice mail capabilities,
a fax-switch to route the incoming calls, and a combination fax and
sound card to build answering machine capabilites into my Linux machine.

- I wish to leave my home Linux machine on all day so that I can
  connect to my Linux account at home from my Sun workstation at work.

- I wish incoming voice calls to be routed to an answering machine or
  or to have the Linux machine answer and record incoming calls.  I
  wish to be able to remotely retrieve the recorded messages (and
  perhaps desire some other answering machine features).

- I wish to be able to receive faxes with my fax-modem at home.

- Given that I am purchasing additional hardware, it would be nice if
  all components integrated together with some amount of programmability
  so that I could build other interfaces to my Linux machine and
  interact with it by calling it up from a touchtone phone and have the
  machine respond back through "voice" or have the Linux machine call
  and give messages to a list of phone numbers.

How are you integrating voice calls, data calls, and fax calls on your
Linux machine?  What hardware are you using?  What software are you
using?  What creative ways are you using the capabilities of these
components?

I'll gladly summarize any responses to the net.

Thanks,

-- Mark
I would appreciate any
--

Trinity College                                        Phone: (203) 297-2519
Hartford, Connecticut   06106                            Fax: (203) 297-2569

2. Korn shell script programming problem

3. PPP problems with multiport dial-in/dial-out server

4. Mitnick

5. PPP dial-in client Cannot see past PPP Server

6. PPP-2.2.0f installation problems

7. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

8. Symbol table storage.

9. concurrent ppp dial-ins

10. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

11. Setup Linux as a Dial-In PPP server !

12. Dial-in PPP connection to Shiva Lanrover server from Linux

13. HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??