PPP connect - pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

PPP connect - pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

Post by Chri » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have the Red Hat Linux Unleashed book that tells how to set up a PPP
connection.  I followed all the directions, however I cannot get it to
work.  I am using the command:

pppd connect "chat -f chatfile" /dev/cua2 -detach crtscts modem 127.0.0.1:

When I run this I get:

pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

The modem will dial and try to connect if I leave the 127.0.0.1: part out,
but with that part it does nothing but give the above error.  I ran
ifconfig and checked the hosts file and that IP address is shown in both.
Can someone help me determine why it does not accept this IP address?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Erwann ABALE » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> pppd connect "chat -f chatfile" /dev/cua2 -detach crtscts modem 127.0.0.1:

> When I run this I get:

> pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

> The modem will dial and try to connect if I leave the 127.0.0.1: part out,
> but with that part it does nothing but give the above error.  I ran
> ifconfig and checked the hosts file and that IP address is shown in both.
> Can someone help me determine why it does not accept this IP address?

Well.... Leave the 127.0.0.1 away, it's already used, so you can't assign
this address to another interface.... (BTW, 127.0.0.1 is ALWAYS assigned
to localhost).

--
Erwann ABALEA

1. EzPPP->Mindspring getting "bad local IP address 127.0.0.1"

Just now trying to connect out from SLACKWARE 3.2 Thinkpad 760E using
3COM 56K PCMCIA modem.  I went and got EzPPP, dial out OK, login OK
then get the message indicated in the subject line

bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

I noted the actual address at connect time and changed the local IP
address in EzPPP.  With that change, I connect but can't PING anything
(which tells me there is still a problem).

Any mindspring  / LINUX users out there willing share their
configuration experience?

Thanks

2. All HAIL Bill GATES, Windows Forever, the GARBAGE TRUCK of all Operating systems.

3. PPP setup help -bad local IP address

4. AIX and IDE drives?

5. PPP says: Bad Local IP address

6. Caldera: Unable to boot from floppy -- lilo hangs

7. telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

8. Help Required with AIX 4.3.3 SMP. CPU utilization is restricted to one CPU only

9. SCO ppp vs MST 127.0.0.2 Dynamic IP??

10. pppd: could not determine local ip address

11. Help: pppd: Could not determine local IP address

12. BOOT error message:bad local ip address