Help : Very Slow Remote Login

Post by bria » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

I setup redhat 5.1 on my desktop and use my laptop to connect to it.
when I use telnet to connect, it shows host connected for very long
time before the login prompt appears.  but this doesnt happened when i
login locally on the desktop.  can someone suggest what may be the
problem?  thx in advance.

Help : Very Slow Remote Login

Post by mist » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I setup redhat 5.1 on my desktop and use my laptop to connect to it.
>when I use telnet to connect, it shows host connected for very long
>time before the login prompt appears.  but this doesnt happened when i
>login locally on the desktop.  can someone suggest what may be the
>problem?  thx in advance.

Resolution for the domain name is missing.  Add the laptop IP and name
to /etc/hosts.   Do a search on Dejanews if you want to know more.  This
question comes up about twice every day.  8-/
--
Mist.

1. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

This is my dillemna. I installed AIX 4.3.2 on a RS6000 43P-140  166Mz Type
7043-140

I answered what I believed to be the correct Questions regarding Networking

I said I wanted to do it manually, so I answered the following:

Host: <Valid TCPIP Address>
Netmasks <255,255,255,0>
Named Server IP <Valid TCPIP Address for our name server>

When it finally finished, it tried to log in to CDE, but it took about 20
minutes!!

When I did a cold start, it would take longer. It seemed to take quite a
while on rpc.lockd

When I am finally in, Invoking the Application Manager takes 15 minutes
Applying a change I make in the APplication manager takes another 15 minutes

Oh by the way, while I do have network connectivity, I cant ping to named
addresses. I presume it might be network related.

my resolv.conf looks fine.
It has my domain followed by nameserver xx.xxx.xxx.xx

Any clues?

2. just a quick question, honest!

3. Remote login SLOW!

4. MPEG player for Linux (16 bit color)

5. slow remote login due to too big /etc/passwd ?

6. PNP Modem and linux

7. HELP: uucico (uugetty);slakware20

8. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

9. XDM login vs remote login (determining which one)

10. how to substitute the remote login menu for the regular login text box in CDE.

11. networking/remote X are SLOW. Help please!

12. XDM Login vs Remote Login (determining which is which)