Help with SMC 8416 EtherEZ card

Post by Dirk Kleinhesseli » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

    Hi,

    I've got a Compaq 90Mhz Pentium with a SMC 8416 EtherEZ card.  When
I booted my system, the kernel did not recognize the ethernet device,
even though I compiled the kernel with SMC and SMC-ultra support.  I
checked the hardware I/O address the card uses under DOS, which was
x260 (IRQ 3) and checked the smc-ultra.c code in the drivers/net
directory.  The smc probe was looking at 200, 220, 240, 280, 300 ...,
but not 260.  I modified this and rebuilt the kernel.  When I boot up, the
kernel finds the card, correctly identifies it as SMC EtherEZ and gets the
IRQ right, but I can't connect anywhere (or ping).  ifconfig indicates
that eth0 is up, but if I send out packets, netstat -i shows that packets
are being sent out ok TX OK, but all recived packets are errors (RX ERR
count keeps increasing, never an RX OK).  Is this a problem with the
card set up ? (i.e. the Ethernet HOWTO says the card has to be set for
shared memory)  If so, how to set the card up ?

                     Thanks very much,
                             Dirk

Post by Donald Beck » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>    I've got a Compaq 90Mhz Pentium with a SMC 8416 EtherEZ card.  When
>I booted my system, the kernel did not recognize the ethernet device,
>even though I compiled the kernel with SMC and SMC-ultra support.  I
>checked the hardware I/O address the card uses under DOS, which was
>x260 (IRQ 3) and checked the smc-ultra.c code in the drivers/net
>directory.  The smc probe was looking at 200, 220, 240, 280, 300 ...,
>but not 260.  I modified this and rebuilt the kernel.  When I boot up, the

You could have fixed this without making a new kernel by either moving the
card's I/O address or adding the following line to /etc/lilo.conf
        append = "ether=0,0x260,eth0"

Quote:>kernel finds the card, correctly identifies it as SMC EtherEZ and gets the
>IRQ right, but I can't connect anywhere (or ping).  ifconfig indicates
>that eth0 is up, but if I send out packets, netstat -i shows that packets
>are being sent out ok TX OK, but all recived packets are errors (RX ERR
>count keeps increasing, never an RX OK).  Is this a problem with the
>card set up ? (i.e. the Ethernet HOWTO says the card has to be set for
>shared memory)  If so, how to set the card up ?

Check for error messages in /usr/adm/messages -- you'll probably have a few.
My guess is that your motherboard BIOS isn't setup correctly for a shared
memory card.

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

Post by Conor Cunningh » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>    I've got a Compaq 90Mhz Pentium with a SMC 8416 EtherEZ card.  When
>>I booted my system, the kernel did not recognize the ethernet device,
>>even though I compiled the kernel with SMC and SMC-ultra support.  I
>>checked the hardware I/O address the card uses under DOS, which was
>>x260 (IRQ 3) and checked the smc-ultra.c code in the drivers/net
>>directory.  The smc probe was looking at 200, 220, 240, 280, 300 ...,
>>but not 260.  I modified this and rebuilt the kernel.  When I boot up, the

I found that when I installed this card on my p-100 it had trouble
with the Plug-n-Play junk.  If you have "legacy" (non-PnP) cards, I
suggest that you run the dos utility and turn OFF PnP on the board so
that it will not steal addresses and irqs from your other devices.

Conor

1. NIC card trouble..SMC EtherEZ(8416)

Hi, I am very new to linux and got everything setup and running in 6.0  I
however have a SMC EtherEZ(8416) network card and don't know how to set it
up correctly...the Xconfigurator doesn't detect it and I really don't have
any clue on how to do it through GNOME?!?

I am running RedHat 6.0...any ideas?!??!

I also can't get it to work using isapnp tools...it gives me two errors that
don't like my IO memory specifications...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

2. Mitsumi CDROM

3. ISA Ethernet Card SMC Etherez 8416 not detected by Redhat 5.0

4. iso images

5. SMC 8416 EtherEZ card

6. How to turn off echo when read password from user ?

7. SMC EtherEZ 8416 Cards

8. Server Push....

9. Lan Card SMC EtherEZ 8416 problem !!

10. SMC EtherEZ 8416