Netbooting an ALPHA

Post by Matt Kuznick » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

        Anybody know how to setup an Alpha Multia so that it'll boot from my
bootp server?  All I've been able to find is "consult your SRM manual"
for the correct environment variables to set, which didn't come with my
machine, as I bought it used.

                                                        Matt Kuznicki

--

http://129.1.213.25, taking its own sweet time!

Netbooting an ALPHA

Post by Serguei Patchkovsk » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:       Anybody know how to setup an Alpha Multia so that it'll boot from my
: bootp server?  All I've been able to find is "consult your SRM manual"
: for the correct environment variables to set, which didn't come with my
: machine, as I bought it used.

If you indeed run the SRM console, you'll have to figure out the name
of your Ethernet adapter (use "show dev"). Assuming it is "ewa0" and your
bootp server is on the local network and properly configured, setting
bootdef_dev to "ewa0", ewa0_inet_init to "bootp", and ewa0_protocols
to "bootp" should do the trick.

Regards,

/Serge.P

1. (Linux Netboot problem) Netware BOOTROM recognized but not Netboot's

I'm setting up a diskless client to boot Linux off a server, but encountered a
problem.  Here it is:

Our MediaGX based motherboard using Phoenix BIOS 4.05 is able to recognize
a Netware BOOTROM placed on an ethernet card; but it won't recognize a
Netboot bootrom placed on the same ethernet card.  Why is that?

Thanks for any tips.

Napi

2. do_mounts memory leak

3. Netboot -- Shouldn't INT18 in mobo BIOS do a netboot

4. how shuold a oss state lookes like?

5. FS: Digital Alpha 164LX Motherboard with 533 MHz 21164 Alpha CPU

6. NCSA-httpd-1.5.1 can't start on Linux-1.2.13

7. Alpha Processor Inc gives up on Alpha

8. Automating Telnet and logging results

9. FS: Digital Alpha 164LX Motherboard with 533 MHz 21164 Alpha CPU

10. RH6.2 Alpha ppp-2.3.11-4.alpha.rpm

11. Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

12. Linux for Alphas (was Re: OSes for Alphas)