i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

Post by ksrav.. » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:04:32

hi linux guru's

 i have installed   .tar.gz type file

for example  anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz

i copied this  file to /opt   then i unziped that file   and extracted
that file using the following  comands

gz -d anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz
tar -xvf anjuta-1.1.97 tar
 then i  chenaged  the directory  to /opt/anjuta-1.1.97

from here i have run ./configure    but i am not able to install   i
got the following errror

checking wheather build envrionment ........ yes
checking wheather sane......... yes
checking wheather make set $[MAKE]..... yes
checking for  aclocal1-1.4..... missing
checkig for autoconfig........missing
checking for automake-1.4 .....missing
checking for makeinfo.........missing

checking for /usr/bin/perl
checking for gcc ...... no
checking for cc ...... no
cheking for cl..... no
configure error: no accptance for  C compiler found in $ PATH

what does it mean   how to install and confiugre

pls guide me

one more quesiotn

i have installed mozill  rpm   that also i am not able to run the
application

i have installed yahoomessenger rpm .  but i dont know how to run the
messenger

is ther any configure have to be done
pls guide me

ravi

i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:02:55

Quote:> hi linux guru's

First of all, your questions doesn't seem to be related to Linux
+ networking. Another ng like comp.os.linux.misc or
comp.os.linux.setup would have been better suited.

Quote:> i have installed   .tar.gz type file
> for example  anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz
> i copied this  file to /opt   then i unziped that file   and extracted
> that file using the following  comands

Don't put source there, use your own $HOME or /usr/local/src or
alike.

Quote:> gz -d anjuta-1.1.97.tar.gz
> tar -xvf anjuta-1.1.97 tar

'tar' has a switch "z" allowing it to gunzip in one go.

Quote:> then i  chenaged  the directory  to /opt/anjuta-1.1.97
> from here i have run ./configure    but i am not able to install   i
> got the following errror
> checking wheather build envrionment ........ yes
> checking wheather sane......... yes
> checking wheather make set $[MAKE]..... yes
> checking for  aclocal1-1.4..... missing

Missing package aclocal1

Quote:> checkig for autoconfig........missing

Missing package autoconfig
Quote:> checking for automake-1.4 .....missing

Missing package automake
Quote:> checking for makeinfo.........missing

Missing package makeinfo

And so on...

Quote:> checking for /usr/bin/perl
> checking for gcc ...... no
> checking for cc ...... no
> cheking for cl..... no
> configure error: no accptance for  C compiler found in $ PATH
> what does it mean   how to install and confiugre

Just what it says, configure is trying to build a Makefile
suitable for your system and can't find quite some thing needed
to compile that app. Install the missing packages and retry.

It is quite often easier to find a ready to go package suited for
your distro. Use your distro provided tools yum/urpmi or whatever
your distro provides, you don't mention.

Quote:> pls guide me
> one more quesiotn
> i have installed mozill  rpm   that also i am not able to run the
> application

Try 'rpm -ql mozilla' to see where it was installed, presuming
you can't run it as you do not know where the executable is?

If you don't know the exact package name:

 rpm -qa | grep -i mozilla

Or alike

If you do have a file but don't know which package installed it:

 rpm -qf /path/to/somefile

Try 'man rpm' there are quite some other useful switches you want
to explore.

Quote:> i have installed yahoomessenger rpm .  but i dont know how to run the
> messenger

Same here, use your package manager to check where it has
installed things.

 rpm -ql <package_name>

Replace <package_name> with the actual name.

To query a package not installed you can use this:

 rpm -qlip /path/to/package.rpm

Good luck

#bofh excuse 129: The ring needs another token

Post by Timothy Murph » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:54:06

>> i copied this  file to /opt   then i unziped that file   and extracted
>> that file using the following  comands

> Don't put source there, use your own $HOME or /usr/local/src or
> alike.

Why not /opt , as a matter of interest?
What exactly is /opt for?
[I might say I would have saved it in /usr/local , as you suggest.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

Post by Moe Tr » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:56:37

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in

>>> i copied this  file to /opt   then i unziped that file   and extracted
>>> that file using the following  comands

>> Don't put source there, use your own $HOME or /usr/local/src or
>> alike.

>Why not /opt , as a matter of interest?
>What exactly is /opt for?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

---------
/opt : Add-on application software packages

Purpose

/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software packages.

A package to be installed in /opt must locate its static files in a separate
that describes the software package and <provider> is the provider's LANANA
registered name.
---------

Quote:>[I might say I would have saved it in /usr/local , as you suggest.]

Interestingly, the FHS doesn't require/recommend a /usr/local/src/ but
it has been installed by many distributions I've used over the years, and
I would have created such hierarchy on any install lacking it.

[compton ~]$ grep builder /etc/passwd
builder:x:65523:65523:Software Building account:/usr/local/src:/bin/bash
[compton ~]$ grep builder /etc/group
builder:*:65523:builder

Those are not distribution or UNIX standard accounts. They are on our systems
because a software auditor from corporate recommended them. Neither user or
group accounts own ANY other files/directories. The user has permissions of
'others' which is to say they can write to /tmp/ and /usr/tmp (other than
their home directory) and that is all.

Tarballs are unpacked in /usr/local/src/ then audited and built there. If the
software does not _require_ root permission to _run_ (for example, it's not
opening a network socket), then the software is test run from the source
directory by the 'builder' user, so that if something goes horribly wrong,
'builder' is the only user effected. Only when things are correct is root
needed to _install_ the software so that regular users can then run it.

We've been using this method WITHOUT PROBLEMS for over twenty years - yes,
that predates Linux.

        Old guy

1. i am getting the following error while installing LRP onto Hard disk?

Hi,
        I don't know its relevant subject or not here,
I could't able to find the lrp(linux router project named newsgroup),so
posting here. Hoping could get an answer..People can help the relevant
area
also..

        While installing Linux Router Project on to One of (FAT
formatted),
i am getting the error..
I loaded the ldlinux.sys using  syslinux -s drive,
and copied the whole distributions on to the drive..and set the
disk as primary bootable...

Its started booting and stucked while doing partition check:

partition check:

        hda : hda1 hda2 hda3 <hda5>
        hdb : hdb1 < hdb5 hdb6>

autodetecting RAID arrays,
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.

Invalid session number or type of track.
Kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 03:05..

what is it... and how to rectify from this...?

Could any one help me out...

thanks,
srinivas.
visitme:http://www.nagasrinivasv.com

Posted from smtp017.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.174.114]

2. Configuring Xfree for TVGA9680

3. I am getting a few error lines on boot up that I can't identify.

4. COMMERCIAL: Open Sound System v3.9

5. i am getting the following error?

6. How to specify fake mail sender from mailx

7. i am getting unresolved error.....

8. Volunteer needed for rx regexp package work

9. i am getting the error: gmon.out file is missing call-graph data..

10. Why I am getting error using sendto

11. Why am I getting this cdrecord error?

12. Why am I getting this error?

13. Why am I getting this cdrecord error?