ppp through rlogin doesn't work :-(

Post by Nelson Posse Lago fflch - fsl 37 » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

     Hi all,
     I'm trying to set up a terminal server with 2
linux machines: the first answers the phone and rlogin's
to the second; the second runs pppd. The problem is,
if I start a 1kb transfer, it gets slower and slower
to the point of never actually ending (it's not a
typo, I'm talking about a 1Kb transfer). I'm using
rlogin -8E for a clean connection.
     Ssomeone pointed me that there's a fixed (?)
rlogin client that implements flow control better
than the standard one that comes with most linuxes
(It was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg). It
didn't solve my problem, though.
     Telnet -8E also yelds the same problem, so
I don't know where to go; I do something like
that to connect to my university and everything
works fine.
     This is Debian 0.93R6, ppp-2.2, kernel
1.2.13 with ppp loaded as a module (I can't
compile it into the kernel anymore due to
something that has been altered in debian's
version of the kernel).
     So, if you know where lies the holly
graal of this question please let me know!! :-)
Thanks already,
Nelson

1. PPP doesn't work under 2.0.26 anymore :-(

I finally got the gcc upgrade and got 2.0.26 to compile!!!!

Now when I boot, I get:

SIOCCSIFADDR: No Such Device
SIOCCSIFBRDADDR: No Such Device
SIOCCSIFNETMASK: No Such Device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

What does this mean?

Also... My old kernel allowed me to ppp connect to my ISP using the pppd and
chat commands.  Now it tells me:

Sorry - PPP is not available on this system

But I set CONFIG_PPP=y when I built my kernel.  I also set NETWORKING and
TCP/IP to 'y'.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either of these?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jon

2. complex declarations - FOUND!

3. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

4. How can I go further more with Internet ?

5. Samba: Can't get browsing to work :-( :-( :-(

6. getting latest Open Boot PROM

7. rlogin via ppp doesn't work

8. Skill Set of a Good Solaris System Administrator

9. getty+ppp : doesn't spawn ppp :-(

10. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

11. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

12. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

13. External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!