Ping working but telnet isn't.

Post by Cary Colle » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm setting up a small LAN for an ISP.  We have 2 servers, one is
a pentium the other a pentium pro, both running Linux. The Ppro is
set up to be a 2ndary DNS server (the primary and another 2ndary are
off site).

I have them both on a 10baseT ethernet. I can ping either machine
from the other and from the pentium,  but not the Ppro, I can ping
the router. However, if I try to use a inet service (telnet, ftp)
I cannot connect. The service just times out after a while.

Inetd is running on both machines and both machines can telnet
to themselves using either localhost or their names.

So, why can't I telnet from machine to machine?

Any ideas/thoughts/stabs in the dark are welcome!

Cary

Post by Wim Vandeput » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

: I have them both on a 10baseT ethernet. I can ping either machine
: from the other and from the pentium,  but not the Ppro, I can ping

this is a bit strange. your routing it probably mangled. Or a lot of
packets are dropped :-)

: the router. However, if I try to use a inet service (telnet, ftp)
: I cannot connect. The service just times out after a while.

are you sure your nslookup isn't failing? connections hang for some time
because it can't resolve the hosts ip - name. it takes too long and then
it drops the connection.

try putting the ip and name in /etc/hosts and see if it works now.
(http access should be working)

1. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

Hi all

I am setting up a Linux router with a Redhat 6.2 machine (But it has a
specially made Linux 2.4 kernel) with two Intel Pro/100+ cards. The
card at eth0 has an ip address of 192.168.150.177 and it is connect to
a switch with subnet 192.168.150.160/27. The eth1 card
(192.168.150.193) is connected to a hub and this network has the
subnet of 192.168.150.192/28. A host machine with an Intel Pro/100+
card and an ip address of 192.168.150.194 is also connected to the
hub. From the router machine, I can ping and telnet into the
192.168.150.194 host machine. However, I cannot ping from the
192.168.150.194 machine to the router(192.168.150.193). But oddly, I
can ftp and telent????? Have anyone experienced this problems before.
Also, both machine connecting to the hub are connect to the regular
port (No uplink). Thank you

Peter

2. Jobs for UNIX Internals candidates

3. ping works, telnet works: what's the next step?

4. Failled to load SCSI modules

5. nslookup works, ping #'s works, ping domain fails?

6. Can't eliminate Netscape error message

7. 'who' Shows telnet login When There Isn't One

8. porting HP-UX to Linux (parse error with caddr_t)

9. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

10. RedHat v4.0 dip works, telnet,ping don't

11. Ping works, telnet doesn't

12. Still couldn't get ping or telnet to work HELP !!!

13. RedHat v4.0 dip works, telnet,ping don't