NT and Linux: LAN connection in NT messed up Linux networking

NT and Linux: LAN connection in NT messed up Linux networking

Post by Langche Zen » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00



I have a pentium II 300 system on which I installed NT and RedHat Linux
5.0 recently. The hard drive is 9.1 gb scsi and came partitioned by Dell
into drives C, D, E, and F. NT was installed on C. I deleted the other
partitions and made them into Linux partitions and installed redhat 5.0.
The dual booting worked fine and in both NT and Linux I had successfully
set up internet connection (TCP/IP).

Then someone suggested that I get the machine hooked up to the local
network (Novell, I think, Windows network). So in NT we went to the
control panel and told the machine that it is a member of a workgroup. It
seems to work: we were able to connect to the LAN and access the network
files on a J: drive that wasn't existant before.

However, when I rebooted to Linux, networking didn't work anymore. I tried
to fix it  by things like "route add default gw ...", but I got
complaints saying that network is unreachable. (I'm sure I typed in the
correct gateway address.)

And the next time I rebooted it, it almost haulted when it came to the
eth0 part, saying that it's trying to overwrite PCI value or something
("was set at 32, now 240", or something like that.)  It's a painful long
wait before it finally booted up. But networking is still down.

Knowing that it's all caused by LAN connection in NT, I tried to somehow
disconnect from the LAN in NT. But strangely, I could not change the
identification of the machine from a member of a work group to that of a
domain. It complains that domain controler can not be located. So I got
stuck in some LAN group.

Frustrated, I tried to eliminate all network services from NT except
TCP/IT (which still works). Frankly, I didn't really know what I was
doing. But the effect of all that fiddling is that the network still
remains unreachable to Linux, and when I boot to NT I got some random
complaints, too.

Could someone help me out! I was so frustrated that I was thinking about
wiping out everything and reinstall from scratch...but perhaps that's
neither rational nor necessary..

Thanks a lot in advance! Please send a copy of your reply directly to my
e-mail address if possible:


Langche

 
 
 

NT and Linux: LAN connection in NT messed up Linux networking

Post by Edward Scherna » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> I have a pentium II 300 system on which I installed NT and RedHat Linux
[SNIP]
> Then someone suggested that I get the machine hooked up to the local
> network (Novell, I think, Windows network). So in NT we went to the
> control panel and told the machine that it is a member of a workgroup. It
[SNIP]
> However, when I rebooted to Linux, networking didn't work anymore. I tried
[SNIP]
> And the next time I rebooted it, it almost haulted when it came to the
> eth0 part, saying that it's trying to overwrite PCI value or something

Are you sure it didn't do this on the 1st reboot too?

Quote:> ("was set at 32, now 240", or something like that.)  It's a painful long
> wait before it finally booted up. But networking is still down.
> Knowing that it's all caused by LAN connection in NT, I tried to somehow

No, I'm betting it was caused by NT somehow resetting something on your
NIC.
Do you have the Plug N Play device installed?

Quote:> identification of the machine from a member of a work group to that of a
> domain. It complains that domain controler can not be located. So I got
> stuck in some LAN group.

Right, because you're not in an NT domain.  No surprises there.

Quote:> Frustrated, I tried to eliminate all network services from NT except
> TCP/IT (which still works). Frankly, I didn't really know what I was
> doing. But the effect of all that fiddling is that the network still

Apparently

Quote:> remains unreachable to Linux, and when I boot to NT I got some random
> complaints, too.

I can imagine.

Quote:> Could someone help me out! I was so frustrated that I was thinking about
> wiping out everything and reinstall from scratch...but perhaps that's
> neither rational nor necessary..

No no - here's something to _try_:
Forget about the Last Known Good *
Boot Linux, and try to see where Linux expects the NIC (IRQ, I/O, etc)
Go into NT, reinstall everything, and make sure NT has the same settings
If it doesn't, MAKE IT.
Somehow, some s/w is reprogramming the card.
YMMV

Ed

 
 
 

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

**************************************************************************
*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

**************************************************************************
---
 t MR/2 t

2. US-PA-Philadelphia UNIX System Administrator/Consultant

3. NT Network can see Linux but linux no see NT

4. kermit parameters for Solarus

5. Can't access NT services on LAN thru Linux to NT

6. Searching for the \"ideal\" terminal

7. internal NT-Linux connection in LAN environment

8. read() returns EINTR (RTFM)

9. Routing dialup dedicated Internet Lan connection with Linux/NT?

10. How to configure Linux for a LAN of NT machines + 3COM 3C891 LAN Modem

11. which is better NT under Linux or Linux Under NT ?

12. NT- Linux network connection dropping

13. Linux Dummy - Accessing Win9x/NT W/Stations on a LAN from Linux