3com 509b networkproblem

Post by Michael Sch?ffle » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Who can help me??
I'm  new in working with linux and i try to get started a network with
one linux box and 2 win95.
My 3com 509B isa card is making problems. It is detected when I boot
linux and ifconfig shows it also. Route shows the eth0 route. But I
can't ping with the network, though I can do it if i run that (linux)box
with win95.

I tried to disable the pnp of the card, but doesn't helped anything.

If there is anybody who can help me, I would be very happy...

Michael

3com 509b networkproblem

Post by Justin Bandhol » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> It is detected when I boot
> linux and ifconfig shows it also. Route shows the eth0 route. But I
> can't ping with the network, though I can do it if i run that (linux)bo=
> with win95.
> =

In your route table there needs to be more than just a route for the NIC
card.
Generally you need three routes: default, network, adapter.

Assume your network card address is 10.1.1.1 and you are on a class C
network
so your netmask is 255.255.255.0 and network address is 10.1.1.0

Since you only have a local network(I assume) you will not need the
default route.

For the network route:
destination=3D10.1.1.0
netmask=3D255.255.255.0
Metric=3D1

For the adapter route:
destination=3D10.1.1.1
netmask=3D255.255.255.255
Metric=3D0

Also, make sure your other two machines are on the same network(network
address and
netmask the same as the linux box)

This is just a guess.  If you can send me some more info(what output
occurs when
you do a ping) I could more accurately debug the problem.

I have the same card and have not run into similar problems.

--
Justin Bandholz

1. 3Com Etherlink III ( 509B )

I just changed my os from Win to Linux... But now I'm having problems with
my network card which won't respodt to Linux at all.
I kind of fugure that the problem is the fact that my card is Plug and Play
and I don't have any idea of the IRQ or the address of the card.

Is there some kind of trick on making Linux to understand the P&P card, or
is there a way to disable the P&P from the card and set permanent IRQ and
address for the card?

Please, I'm clueless...

Marko Hirsim?ki

2. hardware mp3 player

3. Newbie Question on 3com 509b under RedHat 4.1

4. function keys

5. 3COM 509B

6. Solaris - I'm NOT impressed

7. 3COM 509B and SB32

8. Remote root login with dtlogin

9. 3com 509b network card not working!

10. RH5.2, 3com 509B peculiarity

11. 3Com Etherlink III 509B-TPO ISA

12. installing 3com 509b isa network card

13. Change Port on 3Com 509b???