Peer-to-peer network: Linux + Win98

Post by David Smi » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm relitively new to advanced linux features such as TCP/ip networking, but I
am experiance with other networking OS's (Netware, Win9x, WinNT).  I'd like to
configure my Win98 machine to be able to contact my Linux system on a small
home network I use for my Win95/98 computers.  I've tried configuring both the
linux and W98 for TCP/IP netowrking but I can't seem to be able to get them to
see each other on the network.  I'm a network professional and I find it
annoying that I can't get this to work.  Any sugestions, tips, or
constructive critisism will be glady welcomed.
My Linux system is running Mandrake 6.0 and both computers have functioning
network cards(NE2000 compatable).  I would also humble myself to using IPX if
necissary.

David Smith
Websites:
http://www.veryComputer.com/*/592/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Favorite Quote: "I always figured I'd get married at 30, after all Jesus ended his life at 30" - Mark Lowry

Peer-to-peer network: Linux + Win98

Post by Monte Philli » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

No need to humble yourself with IPX  got these sites,
This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.veryComputer.com/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://www.veryComputer.com/

These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.

>I'm relitively new to advanced linux features such as TCP/ip networking, but I
>am experiance with other networking OS's (Netware, Win9x, WinNT).  I'd like to
>configure my Win98 machine to be able to contact my Linux system on a small
>home network I use for my Win95/98 computers.  I've tried configuring both the
>linux and W98 for TCP/IP netowrking but I can't seem to be able to get them to
>see each other on the network.  I'm a network professional and I find it
>annoying that I can't get this to work.  Any sugestions, tips, or
>constructive critisism will be glady welcomed.
>My Linux system is running Mandrake 6.0 and both computers have functioning
>network cards(NE2000 compatable).  I would also humble myself to using IPX if
>necissary.

>David Smith
>Websites:
>http://www.veryComputer.com/*/592/
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Favorite Quote: "I always figured I'd get married at 30, after all Jesus ended his life at 30" - Mark Lowry

Peer-to-peer network: Linux + Win98

Post by Magua » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

check this site
http://www.veryComputer.com/