Modem & PPP

Post by Kristina Cla » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Someone on this list (maybe?) posted a detailed log of how they got their
ppp to work. I thought that I saved the post, but apparently I did not, so could you please post it again?

thank you.

--
"Whether you take a doughnut hole as blank space or as an entity unto
itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of

Modem & PPP

Post by Harring Figueired » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

        This would help me too.
        Thanks.
HArring

*Someone on this list (maybe?) posted a detailed log of how they got their
*ppp to work. I thought that I saved the post, but apparently I did not, so could you please post it again?
*
*thank you.
*
*--
*"Whether you take a doughnut hole as blank space or as an entity unto
*itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of
*the doughnut one bit."   -Haruki Murakami
*
*

1. PLEASE HELP -- modem & ppp problems

Hi all

I got a weird problem. I can connect to my ISP ok, but whenever I try to
redial (if I disconnect) it just doesn't work properly. pppd just sits
in memory for about a minute and then dies.I figured out a way to get it
working. To redial I have to start it, then stop it and start it again.
However, if I do that too many times (sometimes as little as 1) it just
totally hangs and doesn't dial at all no matter what I do. The only way
around that that I know is reboot. Needless to say it's extremely
inconvenient. It appears as if pppd does not reset the modem properly
when it dies. After that neither ppp nor minicom nor anything else can
access the modem. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong?

To add to that I also got another problem. I think I got a weird ISP.
Sometimes I can connect no problem but sometimes pppd just sits there,
times out and dies. I believe it's related to the way they authenticate.
Couple of times I connected using minicom and got a login prompt (like
terminal authentication) but other couple of times I got garbage on the
screen (pap). It looks like sometimes they use pap and sometimes they
don't. Although this does not affect windows. Could there be another cause
for that? How can I solve the problem?

Finally, my ip masquarading doesn't work properly. I can receive
everything, but I can't send anything out. (mail, news, -- nothing). How
can I fix that? This is the file that gets executed automatically every
time I connect:

#!/bin/sh
ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.0/0 -D 0.0.0.0/0

There's also another file that loads all the ip_masq modules. I'm also
running a name server on my gateway. Could that cause a problem?
My gateway's running Debian 2.0 and has an internal 33.6 modem. It's
connected to the other box via coax ethernet.

I'll appreciate any help. Please reply by email also.
thanks in advance,
Eugene

2. Iomega 3200 tape bakup?

3. Modems & PPP

4. AmaVis-Perl script for F-Prot ????

5. Modem & PPP Troubles

6. Budget Linux compat. Laser printer recommendations ?

7. PnP modem & PPP (babie....8-))

8. sigmask in threads

9. motorola modem & ppp on freebsd 4.3

10. chat, modem & ppp