ifdown ppp0 problem

Post by Claus Atzenbec » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:09:46

I have Mandrake 7.2. When i use "ifdown ppp0" (as root), the connection is
being cut, but then Mandrake starts to get the connection again
immediatelly.

In Mandrake 7.1 it worked fine: "ifdown ppp0" kept Mandrake from starting
ppp0 again.

What is wrong?

ifdown ppp0 problem

Post by Steve Co » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Just a guess but could some form ot autodialer be bringing it up?

Quote:> I have Mandrake 7.2. When i use "ifdown ppp0" (as root), the connection is
> being cut, but then Mandrake starts to get the connection again
> immediatelly.

> In Mandrake 7.1 it worked fine: "ifdown ppp0" kept Mandrake from starting
> ppp0 again.

> What is wrong?

ifdown ppp0 problem

Post by Claus Atzenbec » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Steve Cox wrote on Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:58:12 GMT:

Quote:> Just a guess but could some form ot autodialer be bringing it up?

This is my guess, too. I know that there was an autodialer in Mandrake 7.1,
which kept my connection up and were dialing in when the connection were
dropped. But by using "ifdown ppp0", the autodialer didn't dial in again.

Now, with Mandrake 7.2 the autodialer (ppp-watch) always tries to dial in
again, even when using "ifdown ppp0".

I am using the ppp scripts of Mandrake 7.1... Maybe I need the scripts of
Mandrake 7.2?

Claus.

1. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

I have a project I'm working on for a family member: Their Redhat box
has a crontab to dial their ISP at a given time and hangs up a given
time. Should be simple right?
Well my crontab command works to establish the connection but I think
it's failing at taking the connection down  for some reason.
here's the crontab stuff
SHELL=/bin/sh
#
MAILTO=root
##
#run at 8AM
0 8 * * *       /sbin/ifup ppp0
0 12 * * *      /sbin/ifdown ppp0

Like I say "up" is no problem. Down is the question. Here is
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

DEVICE="ppp0"
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS3
LINESPEED=115200
PERSIST=yes <<<< is this keeping the line from going down, or just
keeping it up while it's supposed to be up
DEFABORT=yes
DEBUG=yes
INITSTRING=ATZ
DEFROUTE=yes
HARDFLOWCTL=yes
ESCAPECHARS=no
PPPOPTIONS=

REMIP=
NETMASK=""
IPADDR=
MRU=
MTU=
DISCONNECTTIMEOUT=
RETRYTIMEOUT=5
BOOTPROTO=none
PEERDNS="no"

Does anybody see what is going on? I am a little hamstrung in my
debugging attempts as the box is remote, and there's no one there who
can help me. There aren't any relevant messages in syslog nor and the
mail to root doesn't show anything germane. It just fails to hangup.

Does the "persist" option in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
cause this?

ALso, in the course of trying to set this up, it seems from the scripts
and observation that if anyone even a user established the
connection--like with the usernet program--the /sbin/ifdown ppp0 command
will fail. Can this be correct? If so isn't there a way around it? I'm
pretty amazed that Redhat or whoever wrote these scripts would design
them in such a way that root or process owned by root would not have the
authority to shut off the network connection at will. Here is what I'm
talking about in ifdown-ppp
[/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-ppp ]

#!/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
. network-functions

CONFIG=$1
source_config

file=/var/run/pppwatch-$DEVICE.pid

if [ ! -f $file ]; then
    # ppp isn't running, or we didn't start it  <<<<what is up with
this?
    exit 0
fi
So if user starts ppp0 up root's scheduled job to tear down the
connection will fail?
Please help me figure out how to set this crontab to take precedence
over RH's network scripts. I just want up orderly _on and off_ periods
for the network  and I can't believe it's this difficult.

Thanks for Your Help,
Hazzmat

2. How to setup IPCHAINS?

3. powerless "ifdown ppp0" syndrom

4. Configuring ide cdrom attached to SB16 IDE port

5. '/sbin/ifdown ppp0' Not Working: Mandrake 6.0

6. Printing question

7. Why does `ifdown ppp0' redial under RH 7.0 ?

8. Trying to find "Guide"

9. /sbin/ifdown ppp0 does not turn off the serial modem in RH/Mandrake 6.0

10. can't locate module ppp0:0 ... ppp0:49

11. problem with modem and ifdown

12. Problems with ifdown on PPP

13. ppp0 problem or modem driver problem ?