Roaming Access Server

Post by chris.. » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Anybody know where I can get instructions for setting up a Roaming
Access Server under Apache 1.3.x for Netscape 4.7?

Thanks!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Roaming Access Server

Post by Josef Drexle » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Anybody know where I can get instructions for setting up a Roaming Access
> Server under Apache 1.3.x for Netscape 4.7?

> Thanks!!!

Do a search for mod_roaming - the Apache module which implements that
service.

I have the module, but the source makes no mention of where I got it from,
so I'm afraid all I can tell you is search for it yourself.  Maybe you can
find it at freshmeat.

--
   Josef Drexler                 |    http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
---------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Roaming Access Server

Post by Arjan Driem » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Anybody know where I can get instructions for setting up a Roaming
>Access Server under Apache 1.3.x for Netscape 4.7?

I think this is the easiest way:

mkdir /var/roaming
chown www-data.www-data /var/roaming

(or whatever user and group id apache uses, check the User and Group
command in httpd.conf)

In httpd.conf :
LoadModule roaming_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_roaming.so
RoamingAlias /roaming /var/roaming

(Check the path to the apache modules)

In /var/roaming/.htaccess :
AuthUserFile /var/roaming/roaming-htpasswd
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Roaming Access"
require valid-user

In /var/roaming/roaming-htpasswd :
<user>:<encrypted password>

(for example chriseli:3OHt/rs6sdPlg)

It's not a good idea to use the same password as you use to log on
normally.

There's a bug in the roaming access stuff for linux Netscape, i think
font size 32132344.131 is quite odd.  My guess is that they messed up a
pointer or two somewhere.  It works fine for bookmarks and such.

Good luck,
Arjan
--
For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong. -- H L Mencken

1. Roaming Access Server on a Linux Box

We are using Netscape Communicator 4.0x and 4.5 clients on a LAN. The
network supports both IPX (for file sharing) and TCP/IP for Internet
connectivity. Our network is firewalled with two Linux RedHat 5.0
servers: one serving as the bastion and the second as a DNS, DHCP, and
http server.

I am intrigued with the possibility of the new Netscape Roaming Access
feature allowing our staff to log in and connect to their Netscape
profile from any machine in the office. My understanding is that we
should be able to provide this service from either our Intranet web
server (using http) or the File Server using a Novell Netware LDAP
server which would have to be installed and configured.

My problem is that I could not find any information on Netscape's Web
Site of how the Roaming Access feature is configured or the nature of
this specific protocol. The only information I could find was the cost
of the Netscape Mission Control Desktop ($995 USD) which is not an
option.

Has anyone successfully implemented the Roaming Access Feature using
Linux or Netware with Open Standard software or local configuration
only? If so could you supply details?

Alternatively, does anyone have a URL on where to go to implement such a
strategy? Is such an implementation possible (or is this proprietary
Netscape stuff)?

Thank-you.

--

********************************
Daryle Niedermayer

http://www.gds.ca
********************************

  dniederm.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Please Help!!!

3. Setting up a roaming access server

4. kernel errors

5. Apache as Netscape Roaming Access Server

6. Linux man pages suck

7. Netscape roaming access configuration?

8. Linux and NT living together

9. OpenLDAP v2.0.7 and roaming access..

10. Meaning of allow access point roaming

11. netscape roaming access with apache....

12. Netscpae and Roaming Access

13. Roaming access & iPlanet Enterprise webserver V 4.1?